London Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Mar 20, 2007.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

There is a lot competion around at the moment with respect to new instruments. Other than going for a Schilke sop; maybe a Rathbone trombone or Bach flugal. Has anybody any thoughts on London Musical Instruments for the remainder of the Band

2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

We purchased an LMI Euph for the band and our solo euph is delighted with it. Sound, build quality, finish the whole lot. Would highly recommend one of those. As for the other instruments in their range I cannot comment.

3. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

i have played a LMI Eb bass even though i do play Bb that played really really well and the person who has it is over the moon with it!

4. The principal cornet player in my band has an LMI totr cornet. She is very pleased with it, as are we. It looks more interesting than a lot of cornets out at the moment and the sound is very good. Personally, I still prefer the Bessons, my new Euph from the new Besson is a lovely instrument in all respects. However i never tried an LMI Euph because i don't think it has a trigger.

5. PPP

PPP Member

I have an LMI cornet at the moment - it's really great - I love it, it plays well, it feels much easier in the higher register than my sovereign and the build quality and customer service is second to none. The finish is also superb, they are a very good company to buy from, I have the silver cornet with the gold 'bling' on it so it looks nice too ;). Everybody is different in their preferences but one thing I would certainly say is that it costs you nothing to try one - give Kim a ring at the factory on 01582 769370 or 07707 879661 she will welcome you with open arms, they would be very keen for anyone to visit and try their instruments - you have nothing to lose!!

As for the Euphonium, I know that they are in the midst of fitting a trigger to their current model as there have been lots of requests. Why not give them a call - I am sure they would be delighted to hear from anyone with a geniune interest.

6. lol I would, but i'm not really 'interested' in the way they'd like, I have just bought the new Besson Prestige!

7. PPP

PPP Member

You won't be needing a new Euph then will you ;) .

8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

My band has money in the bank to buy 2 new basses, but we can't get our hands on LMI ones to try. The lady said she'd bring 2 up yesterday, but didn't show. I've heard that a top band wanted to try their basses but they never arrived to be tried, so they've gone to a different manufacturer. We'll see what happens.......

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Maybe London Instruments should sponsor Fulham? :biggrin:

10. Have you seen the recent thread on tmp about the new York Tubas which are being developed with Black Dyke bass players? I don't think they're quite as good as Bessons but with this extra involvement of top players, they could pull up to standard on the basses.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Musical Instruments
    London
    instruments
    trombone
    sop
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Have to say, my gut reaction at the moment (even if I had funds burning a hole in my pocket) would be to sit tight and wait for all the dust to settle a bit more from the whole Besson/LMI/SchreiberKeilwerth/York/BuffetCrampon business. As has been mentioned, there will be a lot of competition for business, and I'd rather wait and see who's going to
    a) offer the best deals (dealers as well as manufacturers)
    b) offer the best quality (and consistency/reliability - not only in terms of QA but also in terms of supply).
    Much has been promised by the people vying for the ex-Besson market, but we've yet to see if any of them can actually deliver.

13. Well York are the ex-Besson. Just the old models rebranded.

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I really don't think it's that simple. Buffet-Crampon almost certainly wouldn't agree with you, if I understand the situation correctly ... (which, of course, I may not ... but, then, does anyone really understand what's going on ... ? )

15. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Lmi And York Instrument Debate

It S Funny That When A New Instrument Company Starts Up. They Never Have Bb Flat Basses On Their Tradestands And Always Fail To Turn Up To Demonstrate Them. The Reason Being That No One Has Produced A Bb Flat Bass That Is In Tune On The First Valve, Why Not Have Extra Tubing On This Slide And A Trigger Fitted?

16. I think you'll find they certainly would! Buffet-Crampon and the new Besson claim (i believe correctly as with my new instrument) that their instruments are improved from the old Bessons!

17. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

your euph might be ok but 35 years on bb flat bass, several at championship level, equals a lot of b flats and f s lipped up, and i have played them all, bessons yams,courtois all flat on 1 st valve.

18. I'm sure, i'm not doubting that.

19. PPP

PPP Member

Hi Stuart

I know that LMI do have a BBb bass - couldn't tell you whether the first valve is flat or not but it might be worth giving them a ring directly rather than dealing through a shop, in terms of having a trial.

20. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Well, I've just had Kim (aka the Lady) on the phone, and things look promising. I'll have a test on a BBb, but they're keen to "fit" them as far as possible, which sounds ideal to me but involves a trip dawrrn saaaarfff.
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say though, so I'll look forward to playing one on Monday.

21. jpbray

jpbray Member

Many thanks for all the comments. It would seem that if the build quality is there and you are not targeting specifics like a Schilke sop, "things are all a much of a muchness" and it comes down to the best deal between the like manufacturers

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Musical Instruments
    London
    instruments
    trombone
    sop