London Marathon - Which tMPers have run it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Watching the London Marathon on the TV made me think. So how many tMpers have done it, either today or in the past?
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Keep an eye out for Dave Redhead and his band. They're playing somewhere along the route (although he didn't say where :( )
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

outside a pub in the isle of dogs Di, i think i herad them earlier
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

By 'done it' I meant, actually plodding round the 26 miles 235 yds, not sitting by the side. :D
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Sorry, no, sounds to energetic. ;)
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It was worth it in the 'old days'. You got a couple of free Mars Bars. ;)
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I did it in 2003, the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. Did it in 4hours and 53 mins. Would really love to do it again.
  8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Sometimes my nose runs. I don't.
  9. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Badgers shouldn't run. Unseemly and unhealthy!!

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I know of a tMP'er who is a friend of mine who did it. Not sure of his tMP name though. He played with the tMP band at Pontins 2 years ago when he was there with his band, Rogerstone. Ross Savage... good chap is Ross. he trained for ages to do the marathon and I know he completed it.
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Many years ago I used to do quite a few 10k city races and I once did the Nottingham Robin Hood Half Marathon when it was sponsored by Pork Farms - and you guessed it - when you finished you got a free pork pie. Beleive me, the very last thing you want after running over 13 miles is a pork pie.
    I started training for the London Marathon but the roads got the better of my knee joints and I had to give up. I realise the hard training and pain involved and have nothing but admiration for those who do do it
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Not the London Marathon but I did run the Buffalo International Marathon several years ago in 3hr. 34mins. Quite the experience to cross that finishing line as has been said before. My only regret is not doing it again after getting myself into that kind of shape. Believe me, I'm in a completely different "shape" now :(
  13. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

Yes.... just the once!! I did it in close to 4 hours and felt very good about myself. Not good enough, however, to consider doing it again!!
  14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Badgers have been known to run on occasion. Mainly to catch up with speeding boats driven by speed-freak pusses...
  15. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Oh is THAT what it was???

16. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

And what a character too! I remember Rossi playing cornet when I played flugel with Rogerstone,.... when he had an embouchure problem he volunteered to take up playing the timps....needless to say he mastered those in a couple of months!! Something keeps ringing a bell about his "antics" in a supermarket car park?? Quite a fit guy who enjoys a laugh
  17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

My old man ran it in a little over 5hrs. He kicks around on tMP somewhere. Not bad for someone the wrong side of 55 (and considering his eldest son couldn't do it in twice the time!)
  18. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

The principal cornet player of St Agnes has done the Great North Run...can't remember the exact time it took but it was good! :rolleyes:

His next mission is to climb some sort of mountain :confused: ...but he needs £2000 sponsorship before he can do that, which means lots of charity concerts by the band over the summer!! :)
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The Great North Run is only a Half Marathon, they're easy and don't count! ;)
  20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'd like to run it one day. I consider doing it every year but somehow I keep letting the entry date pass by.

Does that count?