London bands and their winning ways...

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MajorMorgan, Feb 7, 2005.

1. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

What with Redbridge winning the Butlins Entertainment Contest and coming 3rd overall, Aveley winning at Yeovil and now Alliance winning at Preston, it's not been a bad start to the year at all from the so-called 'weakest' area in the country . . .

It'll certainly be a closely fought thing at Stevenage this year!
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Indeed it will... well done to Alliance winning in Preston.....
  3. lewis

lewis Member

Roll on...

Roll on the 20th March hey boys! We had a great day out yesterday and we are looking forward to Stevenage now. Well done Averly on Saturday.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You all certainly seem to be on a roll - pity I shan't hear you at Stevenage as I'm only there on the Saturday :-(
  5. livyarker

livyarker Member

well done to Alliance and Aveley! it was good to see a southern band at preston yesterady it made me feel more at home! Looking forward to seeing all 3 bands battle it out at the area this year!
  6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You'll just have to listen to the marvels of the 1st section then :cool:
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to seeing more than just those three bands battle it out. Friar Guildiford for one has been doing quite well as of late (A second at Folkestone last fall and win at the LBBA Contest).

I also hope that under our new direction, Welwyn will be competitive.
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

And also don't forget my new friends at Kidlington! ;)
  9. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Great to see the London Bands doing so well, but for Kidlington to be in London, they would need to build an airport there, like Gatwick, Luton and Stansted!
  10. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

Thanks for the support...although to be fair...we might have done even better than third at Butlins if we hadn't come eighth on the Saturday with a 'seat-of-your-pants' performance of a fiendishly difficult test piece...

If only I could remember who composed it... ;)
  11. MartinT

MartinT Member

Oddly enough, there is an airport there... if not quite like Gatwick, Luton and Stansted :)

I think the term "London" here is possibly meant to be applied to the London and Southern Counties region generally, but I could be wrong :confused:
  12. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I'm sure I can find out for you. I'll do some research!
  13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Aye, it was a tough piece.. had to use my third valve and everything.. ...what's going on there?
  14. Jan H

Uhm, sorry, I thought they were in the L&SC area??? My geographical knowledge of the different area's is not that good :oops:

Or was this thread only about bands from the actual city of London itself? I was under the (apparently wrong?) impression that it was about L&SC bands doing well at contests...

And actually, there is an airport in (or at least very close to) Kidlington: Oxford airport!
  15. DublinBass

Go get 'em Jan ;)

I think you're right about Kidlington being L&SC.
  16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Yes, quite right. Not sure that we qualify under "winning ways" though.
  17. DublinBass

If you're friends with're a winner in my book.
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

You made a good job of Tristan, last year!!
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Why thank you! (though 5th isn't exactly 'winning' either...)

And Pat, you're a very nice man.

We seem to have turned this thread into some kind of strange Kidlington-based love-in...
  20. Jan H

Indeed :)

So back to the original topic: Are we talking about bands from the city of London itself; or from the wider London and Southern Countries Area :confused: I know that Avely and Newham, Alliance and Redbridge all hqve been doing very well recently. Were are they based?

p.s. Dave could you clean out your private messages inbox... :wink: