Logging out.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Mar 22, 2008.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Mods can someone help? I can't log out at the top of the page without going through a routine of clicking on this or that before it lets me out, I have no trouble at the bottom, but then I see the clock, which is showing 20.06, when the actual time is 21.15

I suppose the solution is to go to the bottom "log out", but don't look at the clock.lol
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. lilz

lilz Member

I never log out....cos im lazy and it means id have to log in again :p
    so really ive been on here 24/7 since ive joined
  3. Di

Di Active Member

I always use the log out on the bar at the top, followed by clicking where it says to. Not sure about the one at the bottom (doesn't seem to appear on the skin I'm using). John may be able to help out with that? ;)
  4. nook1938

Hi Di, no matter if I am on the Home Page or the Forum Page the same thing happens.

Click on Log Out. Click on OK in the Box, "are you sure you want to log out".
    Another box with "error occured" and "click here to log out". Then I can finish my session.

At the {R} hand side at the bottom of the page, below the "upcomming events" there is another log out facility. If I

Click on Log Out. Click on OK in the Box, "are you sure you want to log out".

Another box "with all cookies cleared" appears and thats it.

Why it is different at the bottom of the page than the top, but it certainly easy to go to the bottom.

But back to the clock!.:confused:
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Ah, found it! It only appears though if you're on the forum page! Guess that's why I just use the link on the nav bar as I can log out from any page on the site. It is only one more click. (Or maybe not even that since you have to click the forum page and scroll down if you wish to use that one);)

As for the time, I've just gone to the forums page ready to log out and it stated correctly "the time now is 9:48.

Edit : Ahhhh, did you perhaps have two windows open? One which had not recently been refreshed and you used that one to log out? Just a thought.
  6. nook1938

DI, I always use the forums page in my "favorites" then I am not clicking away to get where I need to be. No, I am not aware of having two pages open, I always go back to the forums page no matter if I have been around the site, looking.

Bottom of the page works for me, I'll just keep using it and I will not mention the clock again lol.

Could not resist, the clock is 10.06
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Interesting. Made even more so by the fact that the first difference you mentioned was 1hr 9mins and the second, just 20 mins, (judging by the time given and the time showing the post edit). :confused:

Will need to consult the oracle on this one. ;)
  8. nook1938

I have been on the Bad joke thread and noticed the time was showing 13.12, entered the joke, came out looked at the clock and it was still showing 13.12. I did not think I Put the clock in slow motion while I typed. Clock still on 13.12
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Weirdness abounds eh! Sorry about these issues Nook, but I'd say this was a client side issue and not due to anything on the server. What is your OS/Browser combination...?
  10. nook1938

Hi TheMusicMan, my os is Windows XP and Internet Exployer 7 for the browser, the problem doe's not stop me from enjoying the site John, I was just curious why I got error messages when I logged out at the top of page and not the bottom.

I have the forum page in my fav. thats how I enter the site.

I won't mention the clock lol

11. Fedman

Fedman Member

Can anyone answer this one?
    I have just logged on into today's posts and have this at the top, with all topics faded out;-
    The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.

This is strange as I haven't been on since last night!
  12. millie6589

millie6589 Member

I have also encountered this several times but can't help with why cos i aint got a clue either!
  13. Fedman

Fedman Member

Thanks for the reply Millie, nice to know I'm not alone in my ignorance.

Perhaps The MusicMan can help?
  14. Di

Di Active Member

OK, I'll try and answer this one.

This means that on your previous visit, you didn't read all the new posts or mark the forums as read. The next time you logged on, you had a reminder that there are new posts in these threads which you haven't read or marked as read, but there are no new posts in them since your last visit.

I think that's correct. Does that make sense? I confuse myself sometimes.
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Di's explanation is correct, at least in my experience. But sometimes I get this even though I know that there have been posts since the last time I logged out, as if the database never recorded the last logout time properly.
  16. millie6589

millie6589 Member

yeah, thats what i meant, and sometimes i will have the updated threads listed in my user CP but they don't show on the new posts list, if that makes sense....? i do confuse myself rather a lot though so it may just be me missing something....!
  17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That could be because the "New Posts" button doesn't poll all of the forums - for example, threads in the "Totally Random" forum are not included in "New Posts" - these are included in the "All New Posts" option under "Quick Links".
  18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Hmmm..I don't have an "All New Posts" option under "Quick Links"
  19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

try 'Find New Posts" under "Search"
    it depends on the skin that you are using. I use tMP Clean Widescreen
  20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Yep, got that...as you can guess, I'm still finding my way around. Thank you.