Logging in to 4BR

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Anno Draconis, May 13, 2009.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that you now have to log in to 4BR if you want to listen to the audio news/interviews?

Any idea why they would suddenly ask users to do this? (and before anyone asks, yes I have emailed them to ask!) The only reason I can see to want to collect users email addresses is to send them spam, which I have no intention of signing up for. Reading the text on the signup page it looks as though fairly soon you will have to log in to send comments in as well.

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I only bother with 4br around the Areas - after the site was revamped it seemed to become
    a lot less relevant for me. On the other hand, I check tmp every day :)

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

In the early days of the web registering your details with anyone you wanted to do business with was unnecessary but that has all changed now, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the reasons are purely commercial, as you suggest.

Another development in recent times has been the increasing use of animated adverts on all sorts of websites - Amazon, Ebay etc. - which has the effect of slowing everything down. The system is slowly collapsing under the weight of advertising.

4. James Yelland

It also occurs to me that this should probably be seen in conjunction with 4BarsRest's recent appeal to its readership for money (which, knowing the traditional parsimony of bandsmen,was probably not very successful).

Websites like 4BR cannot ultimately run on thin air. Exactly this point was being made only last week by none other than Rupert Murdoch, who brought up the possibility that online newspapers will soon cease to be free - the Wall Street Journal already charges a subscription and has shown that the model works. Mr Murdoch has been proved right on other commercial matters in the past, and I think he will be right on this one too. 4BR is under exactly the same sort of commercial pressure.

5. floppymute

floppymute Member

It's easy to get paranoid about this sort of thing. Remember this isn't a general market -the brass band community and the suppliers advertising on 4BR would be classed as a niche market, and one that knows its potential customers well I suspect.
    In other words, both 4BR themselves and their advertisers would be well aware that the brass band community would react very badly to being spammed as a result of registering

6. James Yelland

Did you get a reply?

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes - oops, forgot to update the thread!:oops: Here it is:

I assume the interactive commenting will be along the lines of the BBC site, where you can add a comment to a news or magazine story. I could imagine them falling foul of the same sort of trolling that takes place on here from time to time, hence the need to make people register and log in?