Living without a Leg!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jun 15, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Okay.... as most of you are aware... I managed to fracture my lower tibia at the whits, this means I have a lovely backslab cast on my leg, which I can't put any weight on, and therefore I can only get about with the help of my trusty crutches! BUT I can't carry anything or do anything when I'm wobbling around on my crutches!

I was wondering if anybody else had a similar experience and has any fantastic ideas of how to carry things (namely plates of food or a drink etc.) as I'm at my whits end (scuse the pun!) and i've only been in plaster for nearly 4 days!

Thanks very much
    Hoppy the Cripple
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Dear Hoppy,

Being lucky enough never to have broken a limb, I have no personal experience of this. However, it seems like a perfect opportunity to train everybody to wait on you hand and foot. Why carry your own plates and drinks when you can get someone else to do it for you? :tongue: I should enjoy it if I were you! ;)

Hope your leg gets better soon, and the plaster isn't too itchy! Have you bought yourself a knitting needle to scratch down inside the plaster?
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

How on earth did you manage to stand on it for three days??? Lugging a big fat suitcase and a cornet practically all over Dorset???? No wonder your foot went black!
    When I broke my knee I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks (it was a bad break!) so it was much easier to carry stuff, just put it on my lap! Not sure about crutches though! :tongue:

I agree with DaveR...get a slave!!
    Hope its better soon! xxx
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Ditto!! :biggrin:

Hope your leg heals fast....
  5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm sooooo looking forward to watching South Molton at Bugle on Saturday...!! Have you got any clever plans to make it nice and easy to get onto the stage?!
  6. Bungle

Bungle Member

Move the TV and computer in the Kitchen, or get a remote control toy dumper truck:dunno
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

If I were you I'd resort to "full ill bloke mode". Not only use the damaged limb as a way to get everyone running around after you and fetching and carrying for you, but also use it as an excuse to moan loudly and often about how painful it is to anyone who'll listen - and anyone who won't. Also make a point of saying its much worse than anything anyone has ever had before, and (this is the crucial bit) you will "just soldier on" despite the pain. Once its all healed then you go for the killer blow of saying to everyone how brave you were. You should try it, it's great fun. ;)

BTW shouldn't you Smurf now be hobbling along with a crutch?

Anyway Fi, I hope your leg heals really quickly and you're back to full fitness ASAP :tup
  8. meandmycornet

hahaha thank you everyone.... I WOULD moan and get people do everything for me.... but seeing as I'm on my own allllllll day (mum and dad are out at work) and the only company I have is my doggy (who is useless) and the builders outside (who are busy and laugh at me every time i hop past the window) unfortunately I can't!

Liz, Is it up steps to the stage? if so I will probably go up on my bum! (steps are hard on crutches!) and I am still 'marching' I am borrowing a wheelchair and daddy is going to push me (he has to wear uniform :tongue:)

and Mr Ian, of course I am being very brave! and how am I supposed to do 'full ill bloke mode'? after all I am very much not a bloke!

Maybe a nice lovely tMPer would like to come and be my slave until I am better? :tongue:
  9. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Hehe!! Yes there are steps up to the stage. And it's usually quite windy up there! Which will add to the fun...

Hehe, can't wait!! :biggrin:
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What a meanie! :eek: :tongue: I'm deeply shocked at your lack of sympathy for poor legless Fi! :tongue: :biggrin:
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A number of years ago i ruptured my achliees tendon off work 14 weeks but did it in the middle of the CRICKET SEASON:D
    But i manage not to bad in general after the full plaster was cut down to half just below my knee and even better when i went on to arm crutches
  12. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

But it's going to be funny! I do have sympathy, deep, deep down!! Honest!

Hehe....! :biggrin:
  13. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I did my 1st Bugle contest with my arm in a cast! Yay, you can join my "broken bones at bugle club"........!!

It's annoying cos its gets really hot and bothery (kellyism) but you could use it to your advantage........obviously cornwall is full delightful young men to which you can use to your advantage......."i've broken my foot, can you carry my instrument for me......" "I can't walk, can you go to the bar for me......."

and best used for the ultra nice ones "Can you sign my cast for me, you just need to write your name and phone number" ........
    The possibilities are endless and much fun indeed..........not that i would have done that with my broken all.......*cough*!

Use it to your advantage girlie and have much fun!! :)
  14. meandmycornet

me too :cry: Liz you meanie! :tongue: thing is though dave.... it will probably be quite funny :tongue:
  15. meandmycornet

I just need someone who isn't my dad or my mum (she's a useless driver) to push my wheelchair that i'm borrowing for the day, for me now :tongue: any offers for chief wheelchair pusher? :tongue:
  16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

right lets practice "excuse Mr nice man, you have ever such strong arms *eye lash flutter* do you think you could possibly help push my wheelchair thankyou please *cheesy grin* it would make me very very happy *even bigger cheesy grin* "
    That should get you a long line of wheelchair pushers in no time!!
  17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Can someone please get photographic evidence on how they get Fi up and down the stage please :lol: if it's how I'd get the percussion up (well, especially down) that would be well funny ;)
  18. meandmycornet

hahaha :D i'm beginning to like the idea of being in plaster now :D so long as none of them nearly close a door on my leg (like mum did) or let me roll backwards down a slope into a wall (like mum did) i'll be ok! :D
  19. Di

Di Active Member

Being pushed in a wheelchair isn't as glorious as you might think! You're looking around you, and looking at where you think you should be going and your pusher decides to swing the other way. A very strange feeling. :( And then the times when your pusher goes AWOL leaving you stranded.

This sounds like a job for the remote robot we bought Adam a few years ago. Can bend, lift and carry and even has a tray to put things on! ;):biggrin:
  20. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Just stand by for the Lou and Andy references!