Liverpool Football Club

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Probably not. And?

The money alone does not buy victory, as Abramovich has found out in Europe. It's still, just about, a test of the players' and manager's skill. Man City are not the only club in Europe spending a fortune, Real Madrid do it every year and only get away with it because their bank doesn't dare call in their debt. Liverpool spent a fortune and got their lowest points total since 1954 as a reward. Just proves Mancini's a better manager than Dalglish, doesn't it?

On the subject of Dalglish, it's a shame but he's one of those managers that the modern Premiership has left trailing - he was never going to get the time he wanted/needed to set things up; plus, managers should never, ever, go back. Rafa's bright enough to know this, I hope.

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Thats one of the last people Liverpool want to see back plus
    No thank you to A.V.B as well !!!

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Steve McLaren might be free quite soon. Or failing that, Glen Hoddle's not up to much :D

4. jamieow

jamieow Member

Liverpool just aren't the 'draw' for managers anymore....ask yourself, would AVB want to go there? Capello? Get rid of the 1970's and 1980's tinted glasses first guys.........

I can't see Guardiola or Mourinho waiting anxiously by their phones for a call off J Henry either.

Currently LFC will be looking at your Martinez / Rodgers / Lambert types (who are all very good managers, but with things to prove).

5. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

A bloke down the pub told me the next Liverpool manager would be................

David Moyes

Or was it Bob Childs. I forget now

6. fabled inferno

fabled inferno Member

Some of these Liverpool fans have no idea what a "bad season" is. For the vast majority of footy fans, finishing 8th in the Premiership,and two Wembley cup finals would result in the team being given a ticker tape parade though the town, the freedom of the City awarded to all the players and statue of the manager in the Town square. Wake up and stop moaning the lot of you!

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Society is too focused on instant gratification (and even small successes aren't enough). Another problem is now-a-days, players know this and will quit on a manager on purpose just to get them sacked...and it works!

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Agreed. Pardew won nowt and he's LMA manager of the year.

I may have been pretty unhappy about the manner of his appointment, but credit where credit's due, he did the business for us this year. And It's not like he even had much money to do it with!

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Would be a good choice from out of the names that have been in the press so far

10. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Probably will go, but I think he's out of his depth at Liverpool

11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

If clubs dont have mega bucks in the PL they just wont suceed.

12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We can only wait and see;)

13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Nah, Man utd are skint. I seem to remember a famous football pundit, saying you can't win the league with kids and we all know what happend. Its having a wiining mentality. A few million of course does of course help and and the premier League has become a billionaire haven, but it is possible.

Newcastle seem to have some very good scouts, buying some great players for next to nothing and are doing very well and I'm sure a trophy is just round the corner for them.

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

You're right about Newcastle, Derek Llambas(?) deserves a massive bonus over the last couple of years for a) getting £35 and £7 million for Carroll & Enrique, b) signing Tiote, Ben Arfa& Ba for £3.5mil, £2mil, free! A proper Del Boy of the transfer market.

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

It seems like Liverpool are destined for mid table obscurity for many years if we appoint Martinez, he's done nothing and people love him. Saving Wigan twice in a row by finding some form in the last 6 games isn't that impressive...what about the previous 32 games!

Also the likes of Lambert, Rodgers etc have done well but would be out of their depth at Liverpool. It's easy to inspire smaller teams to play 38 "cup finals" in a season, but at somewhere like Liverpool they'd be found out quickly I think. I reckon both Swansea and Norwich will suffer 2nd season syndrome at which point the Liverpool board will breathe a sigh of relief for dodging a bullet.

In fact if those are the type of managers that Liverpool are after, they could do far worse than approach Chris Hughton.

16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I hope, as a Newcastle fan, that we wil dobetter next season. I mean at one point were 3rd in the table and if we had beaten Spurs at that point, who I think were quite close behind and Chelsea were to, then we would be where Arsenal ended up, I am prettysure of that. Ithought we would enmd up in 6th, but 5th, that was a bonus!

17. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

So Perksie, what about Martinez? I know a number of fans have threatened not to renew seasons if he gets the job - are you one of those?

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

New King Of The Kop in place:
    Brendan Rodgers .:clap:

19. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Last 3 managers of Liverpool are an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman.

Make of that what you will...

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

We really do need that 'Like' button. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice