Live 8

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Neil Glynn, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Watched most of Live8 on the telly today, absolutely fantastic idea, but if that many people cannot persuade those 8 little men to do the world a huge favour, maybe the rest of us can.

Sign the online petition and let's see if we can get them to drop the debt!!!

You know it makes sense!
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Great concert. But I'm afraid that unless they can change the corrupt leadership of most African countries, nothing will ever improve.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I am sorry to say so, but I agree completely.
    It seems the fashion and plays well with the young western audience to criticise Bush, Blair, Chirac et al, but all they can provide is a temporary relief and a sticking plaster. Change will have to come from within.
    Zimbabwe shows all you need to know about the problems of Africa. A prosperous developing country ruined by political folly and greed by its leaders.

The event will be very useful if the G8 are persuaded to open up markets to African farmers but Chirac's recent stance over the UK rebate and the Common Agricultural Policy don't bode well. Chirac has effectively vetoed the idea that European subsides can even be discussed before 2013. While the European market is so over-subsidised the African farmers don't stand a chance. Same story with America's cotton subsidies.
    Also the EU's stance against GM food will prevent Africa competing. GM is the only way that much of Africa can farm efficiently when faced with drought, insect attack and poor soils.

If by a miracle the live 8 event succeeds and manages to do away with these unfair trading conditions then that is the job only half done. Bob must then take his fight right into the heart of Africa. If a few pop concerts can make a difference there then I will be impressed.