Little Britain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I went to a Little Britain night for New Years Eve, at the pub i worked in over the summer, and it was so much fun! Everyone made a real effort to dress up and they looked amazing!

Got me thinking about why this program has been such a success?! It seems to have taken the county by storm and i was just worndering what it is about the show that makes it so funny and popular?!

Why do you like Little Britain?!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Little Britain
    show
    effort
    Everyone
    pub
  3. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

I personally do not like Little Britain, I mean come on, whats so funny about a woman peeing or a guy that says ," Yeah I Know" I'm only 13 years old, but I think its childish, unlike most adults who like it!

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Agreed, Little Britain is utter ****, just proof that the majority of the British public are too thick to think for themselves, they will laugh at anything if the morons at the BBC tell them its funny??

Its not clever, its not funny, its not even mildley entertaining, its just rubbish!!

5. Di

Di Active Member

I must admit, I heard everyone going on and on about it and have never seen it. I was determined to see what everyone was on about one night, so sat and watched 5 minutes of a programme. Got to say, I was less than impressed. No, can't see what the attraction is myself. Sorry.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's one of these UK things that what makes it so popular for some makes it equally so unpopular for others ... totally OTT, childish, zany, cheezy etc.

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

To thick or too thick?

8. Chris Sanders

But then where OTT, childish, zany, cheesy, etc can be funny... Little Britain is just utter ****e??

Its all well and good being a bit crazy, a bit stupid, but they forgot to actually add humour?? But then if you use the word gay then simple people find it hilarious?? Its not even a funny word?? Bodily fluids havent been funny since primary school??

Little Britain was created by idiots for idiots, only the simple people find it funny...

9. People probably don't like it because it's actually very clever! I think the woman wetting her self one is complete stupid and over the top.

10. Chris Sanders

Now thats comedy... remind me to nominate you for funny post of the 2006/ or stupid post, cant decide which??

11. People probably don't like it because it's actually very clever and they don't understand it. That's what I meant to say. I suppose as you're a posting geek I have to expect a fast response like that.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Little Britain
    show
    effort
    Everyone
    pub
  13. Chris Sanders

ha, posting geek, not quite, just post when im working on my pc :icon_biggrin:

Its actually not very clever though, I wouldnt mind if it worked on more levels, but it doesnt, its just moronic.

14. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You certainly have an opinion to which you are quite entitled. But please keep your opnions to that of the programme and not to those who watch it. Some find it very funny - me included. Am I an idiot? - absolutely not. Am I simple? - definitely not. Am I too thick to think for myself? - I can guarantee you not. I find it quite offensive that you think so.

Little Britain has won numerous awards including Best Comedy. Does that put every person who likes it in to your category of simple, thick and an idiot? I don't think so.

15. Chris Sanders

Awards given out by idiots and voted for by idiots :icon_cheesygrin:

Between rubbish such as Bo Selecta and Catherine Tate etc, its not a great honour to win an award when the majority of programmes on tv at the moment are awful??

16. Di

Di Active Member

Thank you Matt.

As Matt has suggested, lets keep this to opinions on the programme and not on members/viewers. Thank you.

17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Thankyou for coming to my rescue Matt! So apparently there are few people on here who enjoy the show, i must have been mistaken.

However i must say this wasn't meant to turn into an agruement, everyone is entitled their opinions and everyone has preferences to what it is they prefer to watch, this is not for people to pass negative comments upon.

The point of this thread was merely for those people that do enjoy the show to comment upon why that is, no other agenda.

18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I don't like the WI woman at all, can't see how being repeatedly sick is funny. But 'Mr Man' with Roy and Margaret is great! Especially the sketch where he's looking for a picture of a disappointed horse...'I can't help feeling this horse is more perturbed that disappointed, and this one looks disappointed because it has received bad news, rather than because it has failed to fulfill its aims in life'...

:rolleyes: not that I'm sad or anything :tongue:

19. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well I must be a complete moron because I think its brilliant. Comedy doesn't have to be clever to be funny it just has to be funny. And lets face it escapist, politically incorrect, slapstick, toilet humour can be hillarious.
    I'd rather watch Little Britain any day rather than supposedly 'Clever' humour like a Woody Allen film.

And hey Mr Sandman - I seem to remember your old avatar was Captain Chaos (aka Dom DeLouise) from the Cannonball Run. So your taste in sophisticated comedy is a bit questionable to say the least.

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The insults being fired around are more childish than the programme, honestly.....

My own purely personal view is that compared as a comedy show with the likes of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and the Fast Show, Little Britain pales into insignificance. It's basis seems to be how much smut they can get away with rather than concentrating on actually trying to be funny. That's not to say there weren't some genuinely funny moments (the swimming pool sketch is pure 'laugh out loud' stuff) but I think the majority of it is well... boring, really. Still, each will have a different opinion and in any case I'd much rather watch Little Britain than Monkey Trousers, which confirmed for me that Bob Mortimer really was the unfunny half of Reeves and Mortimer.

21. Chris Sanders

Cannonball Run may be silly and crazy, not exactly sophisticated, but its not filth, its not smut, its family comedy, its actually got jokes, funny things happen, its not just getting cheap laughs out of naughty words and bodily functions.

22. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Has anyone else noticed that the one person who keeps harping on about "idiots" and "simple minded" in this thread is the one whose posts contain te most spelling mistakes and typos?

are just a few examples.

Whatever you think about the show, one of the great things about TV is the off button. If you don't like it, turn over or turn off. Only people like Mary Whitehouse watch every episode of a show they hate so that they can slag it off afterwards.

More to the point, only people like Tony Blair (and possibly my Father-in-Law) think that their point of view is the only valid one and that anyone and everyone who disagrees, or who watches something that they don't like, is a simple idiot.