Listen to the Band !- How many do ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Nov 12, 2004.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I used to studiously tune in every Friday night at 9.30pm for LTTB or make arrangements to record it, and now in these internet days, I can Listen to it on the net for up to 7 days after the broadcast.
    To my shame, these days, I rarely bother.
    Does my apathy relate to contesting as well?
    I remember going to many British Opens and Nationals as a teenager (Many years ago) and listening to a good proportion of our rival bands performing, but, eventually, a "Jar in the bar" with mates became the norm.
    It's a stark fact isn't it, that a fair majority of us have no interest in listening to other bands at contests or broadcasting, or attending concert performances, - all we care about is our own bands performance and grading.
    I know there are many stalwart banders out there who regularly listen and enjoy all band performances, but I would be interested to know what you all feel about this.
    Bottom line - do you have enough interest to put yourself out to "Listen to the Band" anywhere ?

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I listen to LTTB whenever I remember. If I forget, then I often listen online. At contests, if it's a set test piece, I never listen to bands before me in case I pick up their tempo/style etc when I play with my own band. Otherwise I listen to as many as I can. I was impressed at the Whitburn contest on Saturday - there were loads of people in listening to the bands.

3. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

LTTB is fascinating and entertaining for those of us in the States who are just in the last few years getting infused with brass band blood.

As many complaints as there are from banders in the UK that there is so little brass band music heard on broadcasts, there is hardly any at all in the States. So it's a real boon to be able to listen to LTTB streamed online at any time. Frank Renton does a fine job as host. His comments and occasional interviews are informative without being condescending. It's a shame that the program isn't an hour long any more.

4. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Try to listen on-line at a later date as it plays on a band night

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

We use the magic of Sky + to record it automatically every week and then usually listen to it when pottering about the house

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

DITTO.

However, now that we are in the UK, we are more likely to go to live concerts to hear bands than listen on the radio. However, on those Friday night road trips in the car it is a nice break from the regular radio programing.

7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Have to say have only listened to LTTB once in the last 10 years - in car on way to Pontins this year. Having tuned in, will probably listen again in another 10 years....sorry but was bored. Would rather listen to a CD

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

This is the problem I think - a lot of us have gigs on Friday nights. I remember the days when I used to listen to LTTB in the car on the way home from band on a Wednesday with my Mum. Oh the good old days... *goes to get zimmer frame out*

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I can just picture little flugelgal in the car now saying "Mum, can you leave the car on so I can listen to the end of this song"

"No dear it's time for bed"

"But...but... "

It's funny how when we go places we might listen to certain radio programmes. Eventually time slots will change or they might go off the air, but we'll always have a mental association with that programme and that regular experience that happens. No doubt if you haven't ever had an experience like that you'll probably think I looney right about now;)

10. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

i was going down to cornwall last weekend on friday and i was listening to LTTB, they fireworks where going and mostly in time with the music!!, its a great show and has mostly quality music on, without too much talking!!! But i havnt got time to listen every week

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Band
    many
    broadcast
    rival bands
    net
  12. I tune in almost every week if possible, and record If its a good band/good music. Its especially handy when I dont attend a major contest, because they usually put in the 'winning' performance or part of a winning performance on the show in special programs allicated to that contest. BRILLINT RADIO SHOW!

Matt

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

It would be better if it went back to a 1 hour programme.half hour is nothing, when you take out the introductions for each piece played etc, there is not much left for the band to play.

We should send the BBC a petition to get it back to 1 HOUR,.
    Whos In Favour?:)

14. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

whats the web addy?

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

16. nmcdonal

nmcdonal New Member

I do - I am now, via the radio website - so you can listen any time up to 7 days after the program

17. lewis

lewis Member

Is it all old?

I've listened to the program the last few weeks and it does seem that there is very little new music being played? I did enjoy what was played but maybe as it's the only radio or tv program that plays brass band music it could be a little more forward thinking?

18. jhall

jhall New Member

I think it is a disgrace to all the thousands of Brass Music enthusiasts in Britain that LTTB is only given a ONE HALF HOUR slot in a 24/7 period and that it is also on a Friday night when a lot of people are out at gigs or pubbing and clubbing..especially when you hear hour after hour of endless rubbish pouring out of other programmes...disgruntled I am!!!!

:ranting2: