List of Test Pieces - and section they were used for?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adrian Horn, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Does anyone know if there is a good list of Testpieces and which section (eg. Fourth Section, Championship etc) they have been used for anywhere on the net?
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Try here

Its the list produced by SCABA as a guide. Its only a guide, but its a useful resource from an excellent site!
  3. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

4. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Very useful... Cheers :)
  5. Owen S

Owen S Member

Bear in mind that SCABA has its own local grading scheme, which doesn't have a fourth section. Roughly these equate to:

SCABA 3rd section = National 4th section and nationally non-contesting
    SCABA 2nd section = a few from 4th section, plus 3rd section and lower 2nd section
    SCABA 1st section = upper 2nd section and lower 1st section
    SCABA Championship = upper 1st section and champ
  6. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Just found this link:

I don't quite know what it is, but there's a MASSIVE list of test pieces on there with section and contest next to them.

Anyone shed any light on what that page is?
  7. robcav

robcav Member

8. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Great Link... cheers!
  9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I am sure we would agree to some anomolies in this list. I can't really comment on lower sections (sorry) but was suprised to see Belmont Variations as Championship Section but Coventry Variations, Force of Destiny, Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms, Sounds, Spectrum and Tournament for Brass in the First Section - especially as the First Section list also contains A Celtic Suite!
  10. Owen S

Owen S Member

I agree there's several anomalies. I don't know how pieces have been allocated to a particular section, but I suspect it is a combination of either seeing which pieces bands in that section actually play, or adding pieces that have been set for other contests, many of which use national grading. Most of the pieces you list as being harder than Belmont Variations have been set for the first section areas in the past.
  11. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Vizcaya, Tam O' Shanter's Ride and Entertainments all in their First Section list despite being 3rd Section area pieces in recent years!
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The SCABA list was prepared by Denis Wilby. It was intended to provide a guideline, not definitive gradings, and takes into account the 'flexible' approach SCABA have in order to get a reasonable distribution through all the sections (if they went by national grades we'd have mahoosive 3rd & 4th sections and only 1 in the championship!)

Anyhoo, to answer the OP's question, try these:
  13. Hiya guys, just wondering is ther a more up to date list been made now? if so is ther anyway i could access it? many thanks.
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey All

Yes indeed, I do have some news on this. A friend of mine has compiled what I can only say is an excellent and extensive list of test pieces, their grades and suggested section level. All credit for this must go to Mike Davies for some superb work on this document.

I have to figure out the best way to get this online on tMP, but am hoping that one way or another the list will be on here within a short time, if not in the form of a searchable database, then as the original file format in excel.

Keep a look out here...
  15. Frontman

Frontman Member

For your assistance with this question, one good way to find the Test Pieces and their respective section, is by going to the Just Music website, enter BROWSE and view the List marked TESTPIECES. Starting from page 6 of 175 and have a list of 1397 test pieces which are available and most of them have the respective sections marked alongside in the information section.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Browsing the Contest Archive at 4BR is a good a place as any to answer your question.
  17. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

This has been brought up a few times, and I think you will find that the pieces have been graded according to which section they were played in, and not where SCABA believe they should be.

Not sure if it is still on there, but you may be able to find Jubilee Overture by Sparke, as a 2nd section piece. This was played by a band at one of their contests a fair few years ago.
  18. This would be great. Is ther any way of accessing it at all at this moment in time, seems a lot of people are looking for test pieces but some guidelines would be great,

19. 007ish

007ish Member

Full list of Test pieces

Many people on TMP have requested a full list of Test pieces, so here is mine.

Compiled from many resources, I neither consider it to be comprehensive nor definitive but just my attempt at compiling a list that may help ease and maybe broaden our choices.

The Section classifications are based on resource information only. Those without a Section (?) have been listed in a resource somewhere as a Test Piece but I cannot find a written classification.

Maybe we you can add known Test Pieces, identify the ?’s, also amending misplaced Section classifications and pieces so creating a far more accurate shared source of information.

Please PM for a copy then PM me with substantiated amendments and I will then repost periodically for all to view updates.:tup
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  20. 007ish

007ish Member

Ooops :p I will need your email address because of the size of the doc. This is why I have not posted the list here.:-?