List of all brass works

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by On the Horn, Jul 7, 2003.

1. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I'm getting into arranging, just wondering if anyone has ever compiled a list of all works done for brass band so I dont end up repeating stuff which is already done well.

If not can you guys think of the names of publishing houses so I can make one ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass
    stuff
    anyone
    guys
    names
  3. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I'd be very surprised if anyone has a definative list of all arrangements for band.

In any case there is nothing to stop you producing an arrangment of a piece that has been done before (assuming you follow copyright etc). If you have played a lot of brass music you will realise that many of the arrangements are poor so thier is plenty of room for you to improve them.

4. asteria

asteria Member

www.justmusicuk.com has a huge database of pieces, by no means complete, but probably the largest you'll find

5. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

OK, can anyone give me publisher names - maybe able to get lists from them directly and compile a complete list.

6. asteria

asteria Member

The just music website has pieces from a lot of the different publishers, but to go through them individually try www.ibew.co.uk - the harrogate database, i'm sure they'll all be listed on there!

7. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Cheers for your help, I'll see what I can get my hands on.

8. davidsait

davidsait Member

For brass band music that is generally commercially available, the Just Music website has never let me down. I always look there first when I know what I'm after.

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Of course there are also many band arrangements that are not very good at all- you could always try and do better arrangements of the ones already done... this is something that I'll look into oneday, however I'm concentrating on my compositions at the moment.

I dont know of any lists for 'pre-done' arrangements apart from all the band librarys up and down and 'round the world...

There are so many arrangements done already that I think it'll be hard to arrange something that hasn't already been arranged...

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

This sounds to me like a project that someone (with plenty of time on thir hands) could usefully do for the band world. A list of every piece with Title, Composer, Arranger & Publisher would be ver useful for all sorts of reasons.

11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Helen is correct (of course!) but many of the smaller publishers now sell their music exclusively over the web, eliminating the need to pay shops or distributers. Roger Thorne is a good example.

IBEW lists (what we believe to be) all the publishers of brass music.

D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass
    stuff
    anyone
    guys
    names
  13. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Well I'm on holidays with not much to do, so when I can find some time between sleeps I may have a go.
    Hmm perhaps create a website with online database which can be updated by people thus creating a substantial list of whats out there.
    Back to the ole programming days.

14. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

OK now I need peoples help.
    I have set up a yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BandMusic/

So if we are serious about compiling a useful list all we need are people to go into the data base section and update the tables in the Band Music option - also would appreciate if any you feel any more fields are required.

Cheers.

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

realistically.. its never really going to happen though is it ;) :p

16. Naomi McFadyen

well, I agree- but no harm in trying- you never know... in a few decades...
    :p

17. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Ye of little faith, currently have 422 entries, most of which are missing publishers because they are not listed on band sites, but thats ok - its getting bigger.

18. Naomi McFadyen

missing publishers is no good... What if people want to get hold of this stuff?
    Seems a bit pointless to me

19. asteria

asteria Member

Oh my god, you really do have too much time on your hands!
    Go do some practice like any sane person! :lol: