Lips swelling up- Help!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chichi, Aug 1, 2011.

1. chichi

chichi New Member

Have anyone ever heard of angeodema? A friend of a friend has just been diagnosed with it & it's making his bottom lip swell to double it size after playing for 10mins! He has tried a plasic mouthpiece & no joy :-( someone has suggested a pressurised mouthpiece (not something I have heard of- has anyone else?) if anyone has come across this or has any suggestions please- I know I would b gutted if it was me :-(
  2. pbirch

pbirch Member

angio-oedema is a serious part of an allergic response to something, it is also known as anaphylaxis, this is a serious issue that requires proper medical assessment.
    Speculation as to the cause and treatment of this condition on the inter-web will not be helpful to your friend, he must discuss it with his doctor, good luck
  3. TommySop

TommySop New Member

Yep. I suffer from sporadic-idiopathic-angioedema. The latter part being a made of the latin for bolld and skin. ie something in the blood makes the skin smell. It is not nice. All one can really do is take lots of anti histamines. However, your mate doesn't seem to have it. Bottom lip swelling after playing for ten minutes...Hmmm.? tell your friend to clean out their instrument for a start..
    Angiodema will appear/occcur in the eyes, lips, other tender areas such as the tongue.(Also Nads) I have an Epipen just in case my tongue swells and blocks my airways. Tell your friend to get sorted at the Docs. Tell your friend to get in touch with me for any advice I can shed I've had it for about 6 or 7 yrs.. It is not what you want on a contest day especially playing soprano cornet.. all the best. TJ
    look at this link..,r:7,s:12&biw=1024&bih=670
  4. chichi

chichi New Member

Thanks for the response guys - I will pass on the info :)