Lip Stamina

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jonny5Stars, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Jonny5Stars

Jonny5Stars New Member

Joined new band recently.
    Learned to play on cornet progressing to front row before moving to euphonium and then Eb bass.
    After spell away at Uni and having family returned to a new band. No vacancies on larger instruments so back on last cornet.
    Hoping to progress and maybe end up on front row some day.
    Have sub'ed on occasion.
    I can play all day on last cornet as hardly get above D but I want to be able to do my self justice if asked to sub again.
    My lips fatigued often before end of set. Currently using Arban and other books to extend range and endurance. Is it really a case of playing more.

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Yes, but don't over practice!

Little and often will be much more beneficial than long practice sessions.

i.e. several 15 min sessions as opposed to 1.5 hour session.

3. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

i agree with above howeveri thin building stamina requries practicing for longer spells at ago and if u want to improve ur range u should practice to the top of ur range and each day u practice try go above but if u dont get the note dont keep trying stop and dont do it until the next session

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

There comes a point when practicing where the law of dimishing returns kicks in.. you have practiced for so long, you are tired and the practice session ceases to be of any benefit..you are not increasing your stamina, in fact you may be doing damage, using excess mouthpiece pressure etc etc This is especially the case when resuming practice after a long break, or when practicing upper register exercises.
    Plan your practice routines with breaks. Each routine should have specific goals. You will not increase your upper register day by day. Improvement is more in plateau's where you reach a particular level at some playing skill (be that speed of double tongueing, high notes etc) but you don't see any improvement for a period of time, then after a period of time with continued effort you will move to the next level (sounds a bit vague, but it is not an exact science).

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Establish a good warm-up routine and accept your limitations until you are able to stretch them bit by bit. David's sound advice above should be carefully noted as well. Going back on to a smaller instrument like a cornet will require a lot of patience. You could destroy a lot of what you had before by trying to cut corners.

6. Glehany

Glehany Member

The above all look like good advice. But....you're probably going to hate this, but a few lessons from a good teacher are likely to be a worthwhile investment. Weak stamina and poor range can be down to muscle development, but can also be down to technical issues such as lack of breath support, excessive mp pressure or an inefficient embouchure. I spent several years practicing like crazy and not getting very far at all in the range/stamina stakes, a few good lessons made a huge difference (top of range going up about a fifth in a couple of months). All the best!
    Gordon.

7. eanto

eanto Member

I went from Eb Bass to cornet. Initially, my stamina on 3rd cornet was about 5 minutes per day!! Built it up steadily over 2 years and got reasonable(ish), even depped on front row!! (during practices!) but realised cornet was not for me. Good experience though:) went for the safe option and now on Solo Horn!

8. i feel that my range has been inproved by playing long notes for about 25 mins a day going from bottom c to pedal c then working my way up the scale slowly it does actually help even though it sounds crazy! plus i use this technique to help lip stamina as i regualy go from euph to cornet which is crazy seen as i play principal cornet for my band but hey! give it a go if it doesnt work for you then fair enough!

9. eanto

eanto Member

All credit to you!! :clap:

10. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

As Dave says, practice for shorter sessions more often rather than 1 long session.

Why? well what we are doing when we want to increase stamina is building up muscle strength. Muscle strength in the embouchure (although these muscles are never really that strong) and muscles around your diaphragm. Think about what is recommended to you when you go to the gym. the trainers always have you doing set numbers of reps with a rest in between and working on different parts of the body on different days. This is to make sure you don't strain the muscles and to give them time to rejuvenate after each period of working so that they can grow stronger. The same applies to the training the muscles for brass playing. The problem is we do work the same muscles all the time, so we have to give them plenty of rest as well. Hence why practicing well for shorter periods of time more often is better than practicing for long periods of time with no break.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    Arban
    Lip Stamina
    Uni
    cornet
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

When I'm on a long dull night shift, I tend to practice until I'm feeling like my lip's going to 'go' then have a break (about 15-30mins depending on what's on telly!) How long this takes depends on what I'm practicing and how my lip is at the time. Of course, during the period of the night, the amount of time between rests gets smaller and smaller. Seems to work ok for me.

According to Sergei Nakariakov's Fan Site,

Seems to work for him! Wish I sounded that good!!