Lip Spasm's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by huggie, May 25, 2008.

1. huggie

huggie Member

I returned to playing 6 months ago after a lay off of 14 years. Just recently I have been experiencing spasm's in my top lip, these can happen at any time but not usually when playing. I have never experienced this before, is this normal. has anyone else ever experienced this.
  2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I think this sort of spasm is related to cramp, this of course happens when unused muscles are having a large demand placed on them and are made to regain their original strengths. However cramp in older folk can signal a bit of de-hydration as well, which can be brought about through a large number of factors. If symptoms persist or begin to get painful, I suggest seeing your doctor.
  3. OOOh I know what you mean, mine usually happen after a long session of playing relativly low notes or lots of lip slurs so I guess it is probably cramp related. I get far fewer when I've been practicing lots
    You could always try massaging them, but you might get a few odd looks if you do it in public.
  4. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Concur with the view on going to the docs - I have played extensively both amateur and professionally and spasms in the lip are not some something that is common.

You might also want to re-assess the amount of tension in your face when you play. In my experience one of the most common problems in brass players is the use of too much tension in the face and neck.

Try this - stand with your instrument at your side and make sure you are completely relaxed and breathing easily. Next bring your instrument slowly to your face - careful to notice any change in posture or relaxation - and play a low C. If you are like the majority of brass players you will discover extra tension and changes in posture you didn't realise you had - it could well be these that are leading to your spasms.
  5. I can remember playing at the albert hall on Judges of the Secret court and there is a passage for rep with long top B's and double F, my lip was shacking like mad and I had to concentrate like mad not to let it take over! Thats the only time it got me and i think it was mainly the adrenaline kicking in