Lip Piercing's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by matty1986, Mar 6, 2005.

1. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of lip piercing's and playing a brass instrument. I'm particuarly interested in euphonium player's but would like to hear about any one with lip piercing's or anyone whose seen anyone play with a lip piercing.

Thank's in advance for any comment's.

2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Don't want to put you off or anything, and it's not about lip piercings per se, but:

You'd probably have to take the bar out to play, and I know they can be difficult to get back in. You'd have to ask yourself is it really worth it?:rolleyes:
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Dont do it! A friend of mine got her lip pierced as she couldnt play anymore. mind you, it could have been that her lip swelled up though. And she was a cornet player. The md wasnt happy!
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Personally, I'd say don't do it. In my opinion, I can't see any way whatsoever that a lip piercing won't interfere with ones embouchure. If you love playing mroe than your appearance, then stay away from lip piercings - they WILL get in the way and your playing will suffer as a result.
  5. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

Ouch !!

4get it !!

don't do it !!

6. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I'd love to have my lip pierced but it's never been more than a thought because playing comes first. Playing with a lip piercing isn't practical really mate. Would be mega uncomfortable i think.
  7. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I used to have my lip pierced. Never affected my playing (sop). took it out a couple of months ago, had it in for 2 years!
    It hurts for a couple of months... kept on catching it on my mouthpiece!
    Personally, i'd go for it... You might regret not doing it when your older.
    Thats how I look at it anyway!
    I'm glad I have done it. Fancy doing another one, but don't know where. (not a prince Albert though!!)
  8. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Thanks, I think i might for for it, i'm not in a band at the moment and it doesn't look like i'll be getting back into a band any time in the next few months, if i do start banding again, so might get it done now and that'll give me the chance to let it heal withought playing very much,

I've got my right ear done so far and am probably going to get more, but i'm going to agree with you about not having a prince albert!!!
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

On Sop I think think you are more likely to get away with it (depending on where the piercing is on you lip) but on Euph? I don't think so! :frown: 1986? that makes you 18/19? I am certainly not trying to patronise but you are at that stage where you want to do something to express your personality - nothing wrong with that but I would be careful of doing something that could have adverse effects on something that is important to you (and I know playing is to you Matt!). When I was 18 I wanted a tattoo and to get my tongue pierced! :confused: I went for the tattoo - that is here forever now (lucky I still like it!) but decided I didn't want to risk my playing by getting a piercing in my tongue. Obviously piercings are reversible but you could cause problems with your ombiture that could seriously set yourself back. You need to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what your priorities are :tup
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Piercings are "reversible", but I suspect that it would be possible to do some permanent damage by trying to play with a lip (or tongue) piercing. If you catch it and tear the lip you're at least looking at some scarring, and that would probably affect playing a brass instrument.
  11. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I should add that it was my Labrett (abaout 1cm under the bottom lip), so it didn't affect my playing. I did really hurt though!
    My friend has ther side if her lip done and still playes the Flug.
    With a Euph it might be more difficult. I don't think you'll be comfortable with it.
  12. littlemissmusic

littlemissmusic New Member

hey i play tenor horn and i really am desperate to get my lip pierced. if i had it done at the side on my bottom lip would it affect my playing? and are there any horn players out there with theirs done for advice?
  13. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I started this post a few years ago, and can't remember if i updated anyone on what happened,

I've got my labret done (bar below bottom lip in middle) and my bcr (hoop in bottom lip at side of mouth) and neither affects my playing, once it was fully healed all i did was take my labret out and not a problems. Obviously it was sore for the first few week while it was healing, but i've not experienced any problems with my playing!!!

I'm not going to tell anyone to run out and get it done jsut becuase i've not had any problems, you need to think about what your bodies like at healing itself and all those factors, and think properly about it before you get it done,,,,but for me,,,,there have been no problems!!

Hope this helps,
  14. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

15. six pints

six pints Active Member

I had my tongue pierced at nationals (after playing) a couple of years ago and I don't have any bother. tend to take it out if there are semi-quavers, but otherwise no real difference. No idea on lips tho!
  16. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

i've always fancied having my eyebrow pierced or having a tatoo but i'm a big girls blouse!