Lip Piercing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sniperjp, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

Well, i know that a few people will read the title of this and think it is a ridiculous idea for a brass player, but here goes anyway...

Is there anyone out there who has had an experience with a lip piercing or knows someone who has, whilst playing brass?
    I currently play euphonium, and i know a couple of people with it done who play, and they say it didn't affect them.
    I am aware of the consequences, and know about all the risks, and yes, i have thought about this in great detail, and still, would love to have it done.

Thanks to all who reply

Much appreciated :)

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yes you're right, its a stupid idea for a brass player. Regardless of what people you know might say there is a certain amount of severe trauma to the lips and years from now when the piercing is removed your embouchure may not return to normal. Just be sensible and forget it. if you must get it done then at least have the courtesy to remove it when playing.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This topic has been covered quite a few times before and you can view most of them here.

4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

OK, this type of response is BORING. Everything been said underneath the sun. But times change and people are different. Nothing kills conversation than "we talked about this before".

Tell the advertisers you are cutting off conversation rather than encouraging it. For some reason, "it has been said before" really bugs me. I guess it is because it implies that you are too stupid to use the search function.

I for one, think everyone is unique. And circumstances can change from that last time it was discussed. And even if the circumstances are exactly the same, the original poster, in my opinion, deserves a little personal attention.

Now my thoughts about the "topic". It seems that there are a few activities that draw the "best" people. Banding in the UK, Marching Band and Drum Corps in the US, etc (although banding is growing).

Lip piercing serves NO POSITIVE purpose. It is simply a "rebellion" thing. What are you rebelling against? Brass bands needs good players who follow the MD, not those who rebel and do things their own way.

If I was the MD, and you pierced your lip, you would never return. I would be of the opinion you do not care about yourself or your bandmates.

I can hardly stand it when a bander smokes -- robbing them of precious wind needed to play. Why be in a band if you are not going to give it "your all". Philip Sparke didn't sell tons of band music writing mediocre or crappy stuff.

The top bands:
    Cory, Grimethorpe, Foden's, Black Dyke, Brighouse and Rastrick didn't get to the top via rebellion.

Decide, do you want to be a bander or a radical. The two really do not mix. in my opinion.

Jim

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I just don't think it makes sense to tamper with or interfere with such a vital part of your anatomy required for brass playing. Regardless of what other people say about it not affecting them, I for one don't believe them. Chapped lips during cold weather, cold sores, spot/zits, punches in the face :) all have negative impact on ones facility to play, I don't see how a piercing is any different. It's something "foreign" that must get in the way.

It's a conflict of interest between wanting to be fashionable, rebellious (whatever your reasons are).. and wanting to be as best a brass player as your potential indicates. (old or young, everyone still has potential, you get out what you put in.....)

At the end of the day, it's your choice, brass playing is hard enough without introducing any more barriers.

just my tuppence.... :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If I seeked an opinion about something that interested me on a forum, I would see what information was there to start with as it might be enough to answer my query. If there was something that wasn't covered clearly or omitted, I would use one of the threads to resurrect the arguments for and against and restart the discussion. Is that not a reasonable approach to something like this?

tMP rules:-

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

It depends, do you want conversation, or not. The rule is to keep people from asking the same question over and over, in general, like, "what is the best mouthpiece for a tuba?".

Besides that, I could not get your link to work.

And how many times has someone been criticized for bringing up "that old topic".

I am not Brassneck. I have not won every popularity award in the world with nearly 10000 posts. I am just a guy, no awards, no credentials to speak of.

So I will toddle off.

8. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

whoah whoah whoah - there's nothing stopping you handing out valid advice, if someone's got on your nerves then just ignore them and carry on. If the mods see fit they'll merge the threads so the two topics become one and your advice will still be there.

9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Obviously what I said had been said before in a broken link. I had nothing to offer.

Back to toddling ....

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The point that I am making is simple and not biased in any way. Rules are set up in any forum to allow people to essentially navigate easily through a site and that includes search facilities. The mods have enough work on their hands than just to identify duplicate threads.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    someone
    FONT=Arial)Well
    player
    all
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

What a pity no-one with a piercing has come forward to let you know their experience - but maybe there aren't any tMPers who have had this done? At the end of the day, it is an individual decision - you are obviously aware of the implications of having a piercing in the very area that is vital to a brass player, you're not daft.

What about a piercing elsewhere...? ;) Had my nose pierced years ago 'just 'cos I wanted to' - didn't have any point to prove, I just liked the look, but having to cover it with Tegaderm at work drew more attention to it than the actual piercing... :biggrin: In the end I would take the stud in and out for work - but bloomin' 'eck, it hurt!

If you are seriously considering it, then go for it! What have you got to lose? (Except maybe a fine playing career and a lip through septicaemia/scarring etc...).
    I hope you make the right choice for you. I wonder if anyone freezes to it when out carolling... :eek:

13. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Its a silly idea anyway but for a brass player to do it, thats just out of this world to be honest.

14. Foxbummer

Foxbummer New Member

i've had me lip peirced 3 times
    i don't seem to do too bad with it

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Apart from the fact that piercings don't "do" anything for me, I think that if I was tempted to do it, I wasn't really all that serious about this hobby that I've had for *cough* years. As someone said earlier, if I get a split lip or a spot beside it, or I bang it on my mouthpiece (has been known, I'm particularly clumsy) then it affects my ability to play for days. That's without all the healing involved in poking a hole through the thing.

If you really really want a lip piercing, then be prepared for the chance that you won't be able to play, either for a while until it heals, or ever again. If you're prepared to take that chance, then go for it. Personally I don't like piercings, so it's not something I've ever had to worry about myself.

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think you meant

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12889

Some useful posts on there about people with previous experiencing. And significantly less bitching.