Lip Piercing Update

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by matty1986, Apr 4, 2005.

1. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I posted a few week's ago asking people about playing with a lip piercing. The general advice was not to have it done, and to think about what really matter's, "my appearance or my playing".

Well i've never been one to take ppl's advice so I went ahead and got a ring put through the right hand side of my lip. And it has absolubtly no affect on my playing whatsoever. The only thing wrong with my playing at the moment is that i'm out of practice.

Obviosly different people can react different ways to having needles stuck through there lip, but my advice to anyone that want's to get it done is do it, I did and I have no regret's at all. And at least now I wont be thinking what if I had of got it done.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ppl
    playing
    Obviosly different people
    different ways
    Lip Piercing
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

You got a picture of this master piece?! :p

4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Told you it would be fine!

5. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

:O:O on euph as well? damn! i wanted a centre one though ^_^ don't think it's gonna happen like that
    xx

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

does it hurt???

7. carolehinton

carolehinton New Member

Anyone had a tongue piercing & carried on playing? I've wanted one for years but always put it off cos of the effect it could have on my playing :(

8. matty1986

matty1986 Member

it didn't hurt, i didn't feel a thing and it doesn't hurt to play either.

I wouldn't get a tongue piercing, i think that really would affect playing!

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Have a read of this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4335939.stm

One of many reports outlining the risks.

Can't see why wanting to look like posh spice is considered cool?

Expressing inividualism is not dessing up like your mates. Personally I can't understand why young pretty girls do this. I've seen so many with an ugly bump and scar on their evebrow, nose or lip. It really doesn't take long for these to appear. Now it appears when they get older their teeth will fall out prematurely too.

10. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Im thinking of having it done now...
    Had my Labrett done, but took it out after 2 years ,got a bit bored with it.

I know someone else who has the side of their lip peirced, she plays flugel and said it doesn't afect her either.

Watch this space... ;)

11. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

It boils down to individual choice. Not so long ago, I had my left ear pierced 5 times and my right ear pierced once. It wasn't a case of following a trend or copying my mates, merely a desire to express myself.

A friend of mine many years ago expressed himself by having as many body piercings as he could (upwards of 90 last time I heard from him).

Expressing your individualism is presenting yourself as you want The important part is individual. If you are following what your mates do because you want to, that is still individualism. If you follow them because of peer pressure then you are making a mistake.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ppl
    playing
    Obviosly different people
    different ways
    Lip Piercing
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Same with tattoos. No-one in the world has tattoos the same as mine, one becasue it's just a bit daft, and one that was designed for me by a friend.

If you want to express yourself, express yourself, don't express other people's ideas.
    BMB
    xx

14. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Good on yer mate! You've obviously weighed up all the pros and cons and decided that it's right for you :clap:

Glad you've not been put off! Just one question....where're you gonna get one next?? ;)

15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I got MCMLXXIX tattooed on the bottom of me back... in big letters too... it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced!

2 and a quater hours of sheer agony... I had teeth marks in my arms where I was biting on them to take away the pain.

Glad i've had it done though.

16. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

heh. i love piercings... on other people ;)
    xx

17. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

When I was 15 and 16, I had a tattoo on each forearm - old fashioned 'macho' types, a snake round a knife and a panther scratching me - (1967, fifteen shillings each). In the early 1990's, when I was a teacher, I went to see about lazer removal - £1000 each. One of my colleagues said, "Tim, don't do it, it is you". I could also have had them removed by skin graft under the NHS (because of my profession). The consultant said, "Mr Paton, I think if you have it done, you will look at what is left, and wish that you still had what is there now". I took their advice, and still have my tattoos, after all, it is me.

18. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I wam wanting something on my wrist or inner arm, but am worried about the 'profesional' look. i.e. when/if I get a job after uni and want to be a 'profesional' like a teacher or something similar... would tattoed arms really affect my chances a getting a job? or would I have to wear long sleeved shirts all the time?

What do people think?

19. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

As my post says, it was while teaching that I thought of having my tattoos removed. They are unlikely to stop you from getting employment, after all, I am sure they would not be seen in an interview situation, (unless they were on your forehead or fingers, which could be a handicap!) However, it may well be frowned upon by certain senior management.

I did wear long sleeves, which was not terribly comfortable on hot Summer days. In fact, I still wear long sleeves when working professionally. I don't think that Parr Band ever saw my tattoos, neither have the operatic societies that I work with. Whatever one's personal feelings are, they can still create an unfavourable impression with some people, especially if they are tattoos like mine, the old 'hallo me hearties, I am an old sea dog' look :)

I think a tasteful tattoo on the upper arm is quite acceptable these days, and easily concealed if you feel it necessary.

20. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Still not got the bottle to get me lip done, or another tattoo (the last one reeeaaallly hurt!)
    I am, however, stretching my ear for a flesh tunnel. Just starting it, but not sure how long it takes.
    Anyone out there got any info?

21. flower girl

flower girl Member

I've got a friend who's got her tongue pierced and it has no effect on her playing. Dont quite fancy it my self tho, i'm too squeamish for stuff like that.

22. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i know a girl who managed to stretech her earlobe to 12mm, over about a year. something like a milli a month i imagine. and she still had six holes in that ear! lol. it was a bit disturbing watching her pass cigarettes through it.
    xx