Links in 'Most recent threads'

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by MoominDave, May 23, 2008.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

These currently link to the first page of a topic. I'd prefer it if they linked to the first unread post of that topic - what do other people think?
    I don't think this can be too hard to implement, since other fora do it.

Thanks for all the time and hard work, chaps and chappesses!
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This is really easy to implement - we already have it!! :)

If you click on the green downward pointing arrow next to the topic heading in your search you will be magically transported to your first unread post within that thread. Easy!!
  3. MoominDave

This is referring to the list of threads on the front page - clicking on the green arrow takes you to the last post, not the first unread.
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ah right I see...there is no downward arrow in the front page box - the green arrow faces to the right and like everywhere else goes to the last post.

OK I guess this is something to do with the formatting of that box and what is included within it - TBH that's out of my depth so I'll have to refer you to John, who knows about these things.

John??? ;)
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Dave

If you click on 'New Posts', then on the green arrow to the left of the thread title, this will take you to your first unread post. If there are 10 posts in the thread after you last read it, you will be taken to the post 10th from the end of the thread.

That help?
  6. MoominDave

Thanks, John, that's definitely a way of doing it... But being a lazy man, I'm referring specifically to the display on the front page, above the list of online users, headed "Latest forum topics" - I often click on these, then have to click on to another page to find the new posts. I doubt anyone would want to be directed to the start of the topic when they've already read it - why not have these links pointing directly to the first unread post?