Lil Darlin' - save the audience please!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, May 16, 2007.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Help quick! a friend I know is about to commit a cardinal sin and MAKE UP some info on Lil darlin' for a concert just because he cant find out about it!:eek:

So I want to save him from himself. Do you, yes YOU have any info on it even if its just a tiny detail...?

the fate of an audience is at stake!!

murky buckets in advance!!
  2. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Darling Rambo Chick. I would suggest that you look up the composer of the piece, who I believe is Neal Hefti. He was an expert arranger and composer for the Count Basie band and I speculate that he wrote this piece in this time. The slow style is laid back and fits in with the style of his other slow pieces of music. Hefti in fact (I think!!) wrote the one time signature tune of the Basie band "Red Bank" or "The Kid from Red Bank", which is the area where Basie was born or at least grew up. sadly I hae no specific info on lil' darlin other than Hefti might have written it thinking of someone he knew?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Well ... Neal Hefti arranged it for The Count Basie Orchestra and won a Grammy Award when it appeared on the 1957 album "The Complete Atomic Mr. Basie". However, it is the tune most closely associated with Freddie Green because of the guitar's G13 arpeggio that occurs four times in the arrangement. On this recording, a microphone was positioned very close to Freddie; his guitar was recorded much louder than was typical.
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  4. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Brassneck you are indeed a fine tmp Boffin ;-) I bow to your knowledge. Didn't Freddie Green play with Miles in one of his early cool periods?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm not too sure about that but it is possible. He was known more as a rythmn guitarist rather than a soloist. Are you associating the Davis' track 'Blue In Green' with Freddie? (that I will have to check as well).

Back to Li'l Darlin' ... It was also known to many as the song "Don't Dream of Anybody But Me" which was sung by Bobby Darin.
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Neal Hefti (born October 29, 1922 in Hastings, Nebraska) is an American jazz trumpeter, composer, and arranger.
    He began arranging professionally in his teens, when he wrote charts for Nat Towles. He became a prominent composer and arranger while playing trumpet for Woody Herman; while working for Herman he provided new arrangements for "Woodchopper's Ball" and "Blowin' Up a Storm," and composed "The Good Earth" and "Wild Root." After leaving Herman's band in 1946, Hefti concentrated on arranging and composing, although he occasionally led his own bands. He is especially known for his charts for Count Basie such as "Li'l Darlin'" and "Cute".
    In the 1960s and later he composed and arranged mainly for movies and television. He wrote the background music for movies such as Sex and the Single Girl, How to Murder Your Wife, and Barefoot in the Park.
    His best-known contributions of this period are the theme of the TV series such as Batman and The Odd Couple.

That should help!!!
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Plenty of info on the composer here:

Hefti also wrote the original TV "Batman" Theme.

There are various, probably apocryphal tales concerning the origins of L'il Darlin'. One in particular alleges that Hefti never envisaged it as the very slow, laid-back swing classic it has become. When the composer directed the first read-through with the Basie Band he counted it in at a "medium, straight-ahead swing" tempo. Basie let it run for a few bars, then stopped the rehearsal and counted it back in at half-speed, and thus was born the classic we know today.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

RE:Freddie & Miles .... nothing to prove that Freddie played on any of the Miles Davis' albums.

If you clicked on the embedded hyperlinks in my first reply, you would find the Wikipedia reference and the Amazon link for the album! ;)
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Too clever by half for me ... ;)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) ... hyperlinks are quite ingenius aren't they?

One thing that's bugging me is this ... I first heard Li'l Darlin' on television as it was used quite often on one of the regular series (more likely on the Beeb!). I think Barry Norman used it occasionally on his Film programme but cannot find anything to prove this outright! Maybe someone else can help on this one?
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Pff, it's just a copy and paste job from here :p

Great piece, can never decide whether I prefer Lil darlin or Cute.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Well spotted, but saved me the time of writing my own version ;) ... at least it's accurate.
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

And, of course, there is the cardinal sin of choosing the piece in the first place. Nothing against the piece, but I've never heard a band who really new how to swing!
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Battle Creek?? ;) (... and they have recorded Philip Sparke's arrangement of Li'l Darlin')

sound file here
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Bit rushed for my taste. I don't have the "Atomic Basie" for comparison, but to my mind most brass bands play it too fast.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Yep this is waht I was told also as Hefti sawe it very up tempo..

I think the sleve notes on the FineArts JAZZ album give some background but I don't have my copy (loaned out!)
  17. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Personally if it was any slower, I'd fall asleep, but there you go, to each his own :)
  18. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

My mistake. I had seen Freddie's name on the LP of Miles Davis and Sarah Vaughan, called Sarah Vaughan in Hi Fi. An on-line source for this is I know there was a few pieces that had Freddie in the title like Freddie Freeloader but something told me that he had been a side man with Davis at somepoint.
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- try the clip on the Amazon site here ... then you can compare! ;)
  20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Unfortunately my PC doesn't like Real-audio files; it likes the Real-one player even less.

I did have a look on the i-tunes site; there are a couple of versions of "L'il Darlin'", however I don't know if they are the same recording on different compilations. They definitely seem slower.