Lift home

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by adrian90s, Mar 3, 2009.

1. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Has anyone got a seat home from Bradford at about 11:00pm? I've driven to the last few and I want a Beer!!!!! I live near Grimethorpe and will gladly contribute to petrol and will definately be good company on the way home. Of course I'll be pretty glum if we're drawn last on....it has happened.

Adrian Nurney Yorkshire Imps

2. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Well this idea backfired spectaculary, we were drawn 11th out of twelve! I arranged to get on the Frickley bus at 30 minutes past the results which gave me an hour for beer......We came last again, I can only assume we are ****! what to do...give it up or play down a division, it's close.

Adrian

3. Columbo

Columbo Member

Persevere

Unlucky mate, however take your punishment. You should definitely persevere and stick it out through thick and thin! Have a go at bouncing back, rally the troups. This comes down to your guy in the middle. His first few words at the next rehearsal back are the most crucial to motivate your band into keep having a go! Good Luck! :tup

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I suppose you re-group and get stuck into the Grand Shield, Masters and English Nationals, some better results there and things will be looking rosier again!

Also I heard most of the bands Sunday night, I thought it was a pretty decent effort, i wouldn't have had it troubling the top 6 but I thought last was a bit harsh, the speed of the last movement was slower than everyone else, but the detail was as good, specailly the closing presto. . .

5. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Thanks for the encouraging words,
    but it depends on what is said at rehearsal tomorrow night as to what I do. Last on Sunday, last at Butlins entertainment, second last at Scotland-----here lies a message surely! this is a hobby of which personally I spend hours at home practising for (well, in a field anyway). I have for years played in the better performing bands and a drop will, I feel, be more than I can take.
    I enjoy practising, the people in the band and going to rehearsal, but I can't take failure. I was thinking of next years entertainment at Butlins and we may not even be there!

Adrian

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't take it too harshly, all bands go through peaks and troughs.
    I know we're not really talking about the same thing as I've never played full time at the level you do, but the biggest thrill I get out of banding now is knowing that when I joined my band we came last at everything we entered, and that went on for some time, and now we've managed to turn it around now so that the contests we enter we're always in with a fighting chance of being in the prizes at our level. It's been great fun building it up, even in the leaner times, we're still steadily improving and our results are getting better all the time.
    Don't see it as defeat, see it as a challenge to turn it round.

7. old warrior

old warrior New Member

just give first section a try

8. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Or wait for another offer!!!!!!!

9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Having heard your playing, can assure you that if you choose this you will be receiving plenty of offers! I for one hope you stick it out...would make us euphonium players in the Yorks first section sit up and pay attention! :D

10. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

I personally think you shouldn't discuss matters like this on here. Whatever happened to band loyalty? Not showing a lot of respect to your band coming on here having a moan. Other members of your band may see it, or hear about it. So before your first rehearsal back, there's negative comments.
    If you're that good, as a band and a player.... you'll come back up. Speak to your conductor and band about your future before you announce to lots of people 'think I've had enough'.
    Let's say you join another band... next year they come down.... do you move again?! LOYALTY

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bradford
    Grimethorpe
    seat home
    way home
  12. lizzey-b

lizzey-b New Member

well said squeaker! he can announce what he likes on here, but all that will happen is people will loose respect! standard of playing is one thing, but loyality is another. at the end of the day, its easy to run away from a problem, but it takes more to face up to them and attempt to improve the situation

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  13. TwinnyRB

TwinnyRB New Member

Don't be apprehesive about moving downwards, I've found from experience that lower section bands can be far more stable and team focussed than the upper echelons. There seems a much stronger bond to acheive results and realism in what's acheivable. Some of our bands who have had success I feel sit back on their laurels and expect it to come flooding back........it won't happen without a team of people who actually work cohesively together to drive forward a desire to succeed.

I have to agree with earlier postings, airing your laundry and frustrations doesn't particularly show much respect or loyalty to your current band, maybe rather than considering leaving grab the bull by the horns, become more active and instrumental in trying to make improvements to build a better and stronger team within your current band?

Hope you make the right choice.

14. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Well said.

Have to say I'd have thought the bandroom would seem a better spot to be voicing your feelings, though granted, here is much better for Personal Ads (though I'd have found a better photo!) :)

Shows a certain lack of respect to 1st section bands in Yorkshire too....a few of whom I heard on Saturday and was very impressed with how they tackled a challenging-looking piece! Must've taken loads more work than a lot of top section bands put into 'Salute to Youth'!

If all you are looking for is constant success, perhaps it's just as well you weren't still with Grimey on Sunday night, eh ;)

15. barrytone

barrytone Member

Well said, we're relegated out of the first section so what does that make us? We're still a happy, settled band, playing better now than we have done since I joined over two years ago. We enjoy our banding and will continue to do so regardless of what section we're in. Of course we'd like to win, doesn't everyone, but there is certainly no shame in being relegated; bands go up and bands go down, as long as you enjoy it, does it really matter unless you're doing it for a living?

16. Bugleboy87

Bugleboy87 New Member

Hi Mr N,
    You should know better than to wind people up like this, maybe the people complaining about your views have never played at the very top.

17. TwinnyRB

TwinnyRB New Member

Are you intimating that people can't empathise with Mr N's comments unless they have played at the very top? If you are, what a load of tosh............it doesn't matter where you sit in the sections, all competing bands and individuals where ever they may be placed go through similar situations, feelings, frustrations, hard times etc.

It's how as an individual/band you work to improve things that makes the difference, bemoaning your present band or position won't improve things......for that to happen you need to take action.

If as it seems an individual is truly happy with the current band they play for, rather then throwing the towel in or waiting to be cherry picked for impending greatness with a more successful band, why not dig in, get involved more and help yourself and your fellow bandsmen to improve! That way you will feel a greater sense of satisfaction when the day comes where you have something to celebrate.

18. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Ah the old "played at the top" chesnut!!

Got to love it!! :clap:

The OP posed a question and as such, will be expecting responses not unlike the ones already given.

If you're saying that once in the banding stratosphere loyalty goes out of the window; numerous examples can prove you wrong.

19. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Hi Mr B,
    People do wind up easily, I'm not leaving to join anyone... but if no solutions are found I'll stop at home and watch Coronation Street!!!! Others, Don't play the loyalty card with me after what I sacrifice coming to band.

20. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Adrian, if I'd known you were such a Corrie fan........

That's what I call a REAL sacrifice for the banding cause ;)

21. Bugleboy87

Bugleboy87 New Member

Hi again Mr N,
    I'm on your side mate, and I do know what you have put in over the years. It's just that some people don't understand and never will about playing at the top.:biggrin:
    How people can comment about loyalty to a band when they have had 3 or 4 bands in the last 4 years is beyond understanding!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bradford
    Grimethorpe
    seat home
    way home