Library database - help required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dbate, Apr 20, 2007.

1. dbate

dbate New Member

I'm after some help here, folks!

I'd like to computerise our band music library, and make all the information available via a database on an area of the website that's restricted to band members. Anyone got experiences of how to set up such a database? In fact, can anyone send me the files I need to upload and populate?!!

A gent in our band has the expertise and has offered to do it, but it seems a shame for him to spend the time if it's already been done.

Oh yes - it needs to be free! :)

Cheers

Dave

2. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

The problem, o-ex-percussion-section-leader, lies in the html coding needed to search and display on the band's website, rather than in the database itself. I can send you an example library file in MS Access, but can't help with the web-based front end.

3. madrich

madrich Member

The librarian at Kew Wind Orchestra (Chris Gould) has written a package which does what you ask (it also keeps track of parts and things). Have a look:

http://www.musiclibrarian.net/

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I've been working on just such a package using the free database MySQL and PHP for the coding. I've got it working at home for th ebands music library. I am intending to put it online in the future. I could put a sample of the stuff online to let you see.

You need to be knowledgeable about the main technologies in initial development but once the pages are done the whole thing should run like any other windows program.

5. dbate

dbate New Member

Thanks John. So presumably the host will need to be happy with SQL and PHP.

Dave

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Most decent ISP's will be. If they support Linux servers then you should be fine. These technologies are more suited to that environment than Windows. I use a company called plugsocket, very reasonable.

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I've stuck a quick and dirty search facility onto my bands database on our website. You can access it at http://www.lochgellyband.com/library_search.php

I'm on holiday this week so I'll get the rest of the code up in a fortnight or so.

8. dbate

dbate New Member

Thanks John. I'll have a play with it!

Cheers

Dave

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Dave - did you ever manage to get this sorted for your band?

The alternative is to use a Windows hosting account which will enable you to use MS Access.