Libraries & Storage

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetchap, Mar 2, 2004.

1. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

What do bands do for storage of instruments/uniforms/mutes and their libraries when they do not own or lease their own building?

Our band may be required to seek alternative accommodation due to rent rises. Currently we lease our own building that has separate rooms for storage, library, teaching room as well as its own kitchen/bar. There are alternative rooms that we can rent for rehearsals but they don't come with storage.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Greg.
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We are quite lucky in that although we rent a church hall they have very kindly let us store our library and equipment in and around the place.!!!!. Prior to this we had two rehearsal venues which was tricky because you could guarantee the item you wanted was in the other place!!!!!!
    What about members, have none of them got a spare garage? it's a long shot but it worked for us for a little while! I also know of a band who's entire library is in someones attic!!
  3. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I suppose the problem is one of preparation. At the moment it is very handy for our MD to be able to dip into the library on a rehearsal night as it's just there. Also if someone turns up that can play but hasn't got an instrument we can just fetch one out of the store. If/when we move these things may not be possible, this is why I'm wondering if anyone has come up with any creative solutions.

Cheers, Greg.
  4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

When I joined Bestwood we were practicing in a church with our equipment stored in various locations (such as people's lofts) it was a pain in the bum, but possible. Now we've got a nice new bandroom with storage, yay :D !
  5. We rehearse in a local community hall type thing but have no storage on site.

This is a nightmare as we have an incredible amount of expensive new percussion equipment and unused instruments currently being stored in a stable. It's totally unsuitable and must be damaging the instruments no end.

Our library is in our librarians garage/spare room so if we want a piece of music it has to be decided before rehearsal.

Not great and none of the local council seem to want to help. I'm sure it would be different if we were a Scout group or the local W.I.!
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

AS non profit organisations, advertising and promoting the good name of your town, your council should be obliged to provide some sort of compensation, whether it be a darn good deal on a hall rental, hefty donations every year, discounted rates, or whatever.

Seriously, I think the best approach is to have your own hall. It may be hard work trying to buy it or whatever, but it does pay off. Especially when you cosider you need storage spaces for uniforms, instruments, music etc etc etc...