Leylandgate

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 4thvalve, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4thvalve

4thvalve New Member

Hello tmpers,
    Been lookin at this forum for a while.
    I have heard that there is a north west band(not prepared to say who) still appealing to the registry to get Leyland disqualified for infringing transfer rules.

Does anyone else know about this.

I hope it isnt true, was at Blakpool and Leyland where supberb and desevered the result.

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Thanks for the praise of the performance, despite the dodgy spelling! :lol:

3. 4thvalve

4thvalve New Member

No spell checker and I am a child of the computer age and was never taught how to spell.

4. grandfilth

grandfilth Member

It doesnt really matter as no rules have been broken so it looks like they can appeal til they're blue in the face!

5. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

Well said Chris! Couldn't of put it any better myself!!

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:roll:

7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Maybe a band who felt they were hard done by at the Areas. Still, it's only a contest, it isn't life or death ... would the result have been any different if (assuming Leyland broke the rules) they didn't cheat ... unlikely.

8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Deleted

9. rickshaw

rickshaw Member

Quite right Darth_Tuba there is no question of you cheating the sad part about this sordid little affair is that due to a touch of sour grapes people are forgetting the result and concentrating the scandal.

All said and done see you in London!!!!

10. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Thanks. Congratulations yourselves on qualifying! :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leylandgate Hello
    Leyland
    Blakpool
    supberb
    desevered
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the ideal situation would be where you didnt have to transfer or cancel one card and re-register , and you would have had your lineup sorted out at least a month before the competition, maybe Leyland should have approched the player earlier and all this would have not happened , put yourself in Ashton Bands position, how easy would you find a principal cornet in less than two weeks , reherse with and sign the player? dont put yourself in the situation were people can speculate or start mud slinging.
    I am sure this would have not happend with one central registry , I dont know if anyone remembers the "Rhosgate" transfer saga a couple of years ago , a trombonist was signed with an english registered band and came to play at the national finals with Rhos , the trombonist didnt think his card still applied so Rhos had a new " welsh registry card " sorted out. yes Rhos should have cancelled the "english" card but for one reason or another it wasnt.
    when his picture was seen in the band press the english band complained that there player was with Rhos , and the band were stripped of the title. I cant remember how it was resolved wether the Bathgate band were given the title and Rhos awarded the money. ( am not comparing the leyland situation with rhos , but shows the flaws in the tranfer system ).
    If there was one database with a central card system would make it much easier to manage.

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, the approach was only made after the other band had informed its players that they would not be competing.

If Leyland had made the approach earlier then there may have been some grounds for an accusation of poaching, but once that announcement is made it is only natural that a player would be interested in taking up a new challenge.

14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'm not doubting you ... I'm just saying that the result probably wouldn't have been any different whether you cheated or not.

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

If Leyland had made the approach earlier then there may have been some grounds for an accusation of poaching, but once that announcement is made it is only natural that a player would be interested in taking up a new challenge.[/quote]

Well the argument for " Poaching " is not new , yes go onto a better band , but I dont know. what about Loyallty ??? if there are problems at your band as principal cornet would it not be better to show an example and try to work it out. I had raised a point before about why bands have to do this , wouldnt it be better to have a youth policy or training your own players up? put it in context how would Leyland react or any band who have spend time with a player only for him or her to say " sorry I have had a better offer see ya!"

16. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

17. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Leyland have been very classy in this whole affair and not said anything or risen to any of the bait put down.
    It's probably safest for all if people stop arguing this one way or the other. If an appeal has taken place it's best for the result to be discussed afterwards.

My own thoughts......

18. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Agreed Phil. Anything I have said in this thread has no relation to any views of the band at all. At the end of the day, I just like to turn up and play and could do without all the rest that comes along with it. Apart from the beer that is :lol:

Note: Deleted the last couple of posts I made, not because of anything said in them, just because I don't want to cause further arguement or reflect badly on the band. Sorry! :)

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Well said Phil, It has been said several times that two appeals have been heard and Leyland are clear of any and all misdemeeners. End of Story!

I'd like to question the phrase "to poach" a player. Are we suggesting that bandsmen lay around in unsecure public area's waiting for a passing bander, when said bander walks past he pulls a rope and snaggs bander round the ankles. Bander is not then realised until transfer deeds have been signed!!

I think the term "poaching" makes the whole affair sound underhand and dodgy. If I ask someone if there interested in joining my band that's all i do. no pressure, no threats, no capturing and torturing. If person wants to come and join us for whatever reason then that's up tp them.

That's my general gripe on poaching......

20. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes too true..it's not poaching ( well we not gently boiling the bander in salted water and eating him with potatoes and veg!!!!) :lol:

all jokes aside , the timing of the signing has not gone down well , if you have an offer that benifits your situation ( moving area , friends , musicial challenge Etc. ) then go for it.
    I am sure this happens to a lot of bands around the country , and as we players are not bound to any exclusive contract to a band , we players can play with anyone who asks.
    Make sure you have everything sorted before so people can accuse you of allsorts. that would make life easier...woudn't it??
    you would think Loyalty comes into play somewhere...but you can't have everything.

21. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Agreed.

The Registry have already announced there was no wrong doing by the Leyland Band, so I think its only fair to leave them to enjoy their fine victory.

We'll now lock this thread.

:wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leylandgate Hello
    Leyland
    Blakpool
    supberb
    desevered
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.