Leyland Band - new MD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by strongbow, Jul 1, 2005.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

Leyland Band is delighted to announce that Russell Gray has accepted the position of Musical Director of the Band, with effect from 9th August 2005. The appointment comes after success for the partnership at the North West Area this year. Russell steered the Band to victory in his first contest as conductor of Leyland, and has made a number of guest appearances over recent months, in concert and on recordings.

Russell’s links to Leyland however go back much further. As a player he moved to Leyland following a successful two year spell with Black Dyke Mills Band, and he became assistant principal cornet to Philip McCann with Leyland. In 1991 became principal cornet of the Band and he lead Leyland through a highly successful time, which resulted in the Band obtaining the number one ranking in the standings.

Having this knowledge of Leyland and its traditions makes Russell the ideal man to help move the Band forward into a new era, without compromising the Band’s style. The first major focus will be a successful National Finals campaign, and in the medium to long term, Russell will work very closely with the Band on a variety of exciting new projects.

Russell says “I am very pleased to cement my relationship with Leyland by accepting the role of Musical Director. The Band has vast potential and a great deal to offer, and I am looking forward to the challenge of leading it to a position at the forefront of the banding scene”

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Good for Leyland...I've had a chance to play with Russell when he soloed with our band in the States and then see him recently at the French Open and he is quite a talented musician, which should work well with the talented band they have at Leyland!!
  3. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I have had the great honour of being taught by Russel while ive been at Salford Uni, hes a great guy and an excellent teacher.
    I'm sure he will lead Leyland to great things.
    Good Luck!! :D
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We have a what now?! Seriously though, this is a great appointment for the band, having worked with Russell a lot in the last six months, including the area win, it was clear he was the man to take the band forward and get the band back where it should be.
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Can't agree more with that.

Having played at the Area and having done the recording a couple of weeks ago with him at the helm, I thinks it's an excellent result for the Band.
  6. NAS

NAS Member

A quality musician... Im 100% certain that the band and Russell will have a long and successful future together!