Leyland Band is coming home!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by leylandband, Nov 11, 2011.

1. leylandband

leylandband Member

Joint press release from South Ribble Borough Council and Leyland Band, 10th November 2011:

The world-famous Leyland Band is coming home!

Leyland Band.jpg
    Band members with the Nation
    al Championships

Trophy at South Ribble Civic Centre, 2005

Originally established as the Leyland Motors Band in 1946, the ensemble has had a nomadic existence for the last few years, now it is set to return to its roots after working with South Ribble Borough Council to find a suitable rehearsal space on the Moss Side Industrial Estate.

At the council’s November planning committee, the green light was given to convert an empty industrial unit into a fully-soundproofed rehearsal room. The ensemble’s next engagement will be at Sunday’s Remembrance service in Leyland, and from its new home the band will play at more civic functions and community events in South Ribble in future.

The Leyland Band has rightly earned its reputation as an unrivalled concert entertainer by producing dynamic and unique performances both at home and abroad. In 1980, it became the first Western brass band to tour Japan, and its global popularity has seen them play to audiences in South Korea and undertake four coast-to-coast tours of the United States.

The band is made up of around 30 musicians, and has members from as far away as Norway, Australia and Luxemburg. It has recorded more than 40 records and won the 1994 British Open Championships, the All England Masters in 1989, 1992 and 2003, and in 2005 they won the Brass Band Championships.

Members never lost touch with their roots though. When fires and funding problems forced them to operate outside of South Ribble’s boundaries for the first time around a decade ago, they set up a community programme, taking part in activities with schools and charities to maintain the band’s ties with the borough.

Leader of South Ribble Borough Council, Councillor Margaret Smith, said:

“Leyland and South Ribble should be very proud of the association with one of the greatest brass bands in the world. Their global popularity and the fact they call Leyland home makes the band a wonderful ambassador for South Ribble.

“The band have been desperate to come home for some time, and we were very keen to help them find a suitable base. I’m delighted for Chairman Allan Littlemore and the rest of the band, who have worked extremely hard with us to make this happen. I wish them continued success and every happiness in their new home.”

Chairman of the Leyland Band, Allan Littlemore, said:

“I’m absolutely over the moon, and overwhelmed by the sheer number of well-wishes and congratulations we’ve received in the short time since our planning application was successful. We will do everything we can to be a good neighbour, and look forward to entertaining the people of the borough and becoming a full part of the South Ribble community again.

“I’m very grateful for all the help we received from South Ribble Borough Council. I became such a regular visitor that I now know the way to the Civic Centre better than the route to my local pub! Coming home to Leyland means the world to myself and the band, and we can’t wait to move in.”

2. leylandband

leylandband Member