Lewington Mcann & Xeno

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by talant, Nov 15, 2011.

1. talant

talant Member

Hy, are there any commments out there regarding using a Lewington Mcann and a Xeno cornet. I tried one in a shop in my Xeno but it went in the lead pipe too far and i was concerned it would make me too sharp. Any comments would be most welcome. Also anyone want to off load a LM mouthpiece so i could try at home?
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I use this combination. I found I played a touch sharper than on my old Sov/LM combination, and therefore my slide's generally further out than it ever used to be, but not a lot. Any particular reason that you want to change mouthpiece? Or just experimenting?
  3. GordonH

GordonH Member

This is because the Xeno has a modern Sovereign sized receiver whereas the Maestro had the slightly smaller "proper" receiver found on the old sovereign and imperial cornets. Try putting a Denis Wick mouthpiece in a Maestro. Only the very old ones go in far enough because the size was changed by Boosey and Hawkes at some point in the late 80's. A weird and confusing decision which you are seeing the fruits of in the shop today!
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I know a few people that use this combination. My mate on the next seat down does. Seems to work just fine for her. I did at a previous band (i hated that xeno) but i had my McCann bored out ever so slightly because i felt like it was blowing back at me.
  5. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

The Yamaha 14E is virtually identical to the McCann (this has a short shank like the McCann). It may be worthwhile finding out whether Yamaha make a long shank version of this (14C?) if you like the McCann but find the shank too short.
  6. talant

talant Member

Just experimenting really ilke the wide rim on the LM.