Lets hear it for the tMp team

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

I havent seen it done before so it is well overdue.

tMp has brought me many new friends and many opportunities in banding that, without it may have never happened. It has turned from a small forum into a complete monster and I am so proud to say I am a part of it all.

This isnt about what tMp has done for me though, this thread is about thanking the enormous ammount of time and effort that goes in that we never see or think about.

John (TheMusicMan) - It is time we all said thank you for your committment and dedication in bringing us all this site, these opportunities and these new friends. The same goes to all the mods who Im not gonna name cos no doubt I will miss one out and cause a riot ;)

I would like everyone to join me in thanking them as a team of not only dedicated mods but as genuine guys and gals that feel passionate enough about our movement and its members to give us the enjoyment they do. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mods - please make this a sticky and give it a week or so before you all reply so you can see quite how appreciated you all are.

ps - this has nothing to do with next months caption competition ;)

2. Di

Di Active Member

wazzat quick or what. ;)

3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

here here Steve. A fantastic forum run my a fantatsic team! :clap:

4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

As Steve said, this forum has also brought me many new friends. Some of whom I'm sure will be for a VERY long time. Again, the playing opportunities I've had since becoming a member have been great, whether its a 4th section band or a championship one.

I'm sure that most people do not realise just how much time John & his merry band of men & woman actually put into tMP, but it can sometimes be a thankless task I'm sure. Until something like this is posted. Well done Steve! John is a rock when it comes to the webhosting service he provides, always on hand to help.

So, yeah, a HUGE THANKYOU to everyone involved behind the scenes. :clap:

5. Lisa

Lisa Member

tMP has widened my interest in brass bands - before tMP I was aware of what my own band and a couple of other local bands were doing and I was aware of one or two other big band names such as Black Dyke and Grimethorpe. Now I know lots about not only the 'famous' bands but also lots and lots of bands in all sections!

I'm sure all of the hard work put into tMP is worth it as it is an impressive, informative and fun forum which still keeps getting better and better. (OK, I feel like a creep now!:-?)

Another thing caused by tMP is that my MSN messenger list has exploded with millions of random people…one or two are not quite so random now though as I have actually met them, which is nice. :)

So in summary tMP has turned me into a more geeky, bandy, computery person. I'm not sure if that's good or not…:-?:-?:-?...naah it is good! Thank-you! :biggrin:

6. Lisa

Lisa Member

And I'll second that! :)

7. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Plain and simple - TA everyone

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks

What has tMP done for me or more importantly my band?
    Introduced guest players to our band for tours - Pat & Diana Herak & Alex (wellworthit)
    Dep players for jobs - Hannah Longden & Neil Glynn
    New players at band - Chris (euph77)
    Helped with a dep conductor - Owen Wedgewood
    Discovered new music source (Roger Thornes)
    Found some lost music parts - (no names here;) )
    Had numerous opinions offered - good and bad on banding issues
    and what is probably the greatest thing about tMP is that you can talk to and meet people that you've never met before and they already know something about you and vice versa.
    Yes big thanks to all the hard work that tMP do and the influence this group has on the larger banding world.

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Further Your Support

Indeed. You can also help supporting John by donating a few shekels a year, or by making sure YOUR band has a copy of "The Ballad of the Wooden Flugel".

It's an eminently playable piece, (If I say so myself!) challenging for the soloist, with features in Sop, Solo Cornet, Rep, 2nd and 3rd Cornets, solo horn and Euph, as well as a good deal of stylistic challenge for the conductor.

When your band plays it, let me know!

Will the (not so modest) Composer

10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

oooOOoo Will i do believe ther are 2 composer autographed copies still availiable from Thornes music aswell!:tup

PS dont forget about "the mouthpiece " aswell:wink:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMp
    part
    team
    friends
    ammount
  12. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

As everyone so far has said, a great big thank-you to John and the team. I've only been on here since December last year, but before coming on here I knew relatively little about banding. The site's both a great source of information and also a great source of new friends. So far I've depped for 4 bands (from 4th up to 1st section) after being asked by someone else from tMP, who otherwise I'd never have known. I've also found deps and new players for Huddersfield Brass when we've needed them.

RIGHT at the top of my favourites list! :biggrin:

Well done John & the team

:clap::clap::clap:

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Here, here!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

What a great team! And it was nice to put a face to John's name when I met him in Harrogate last weekend!

DaveR

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It is difficult to quantify the effect that tMP has had on our band

It's safe to say we wouldn't have anywhere near a full band were it not for resposes to our adverts on this fantastic website, and our bands tmp membership currently stands at 12!!

deps we've used include The Cornet King (Chris helps us so often he may get an honourary set of band room keys soon!!), Cornetgirl, Beaker, Well Worth It, HoppiBari, Neil Glynn, Euph_Bari, Power Tuba, Yorkie19, Darth Tuba, Januaryman, Naruco, Vic23, Michelle Garbutt's husband...and I'm sure there's more but I'm struggling to remember who now!

The most important effect tho has to be that the name of Emley Brass Band is now known by umpteen thousand more people than this time 2 years ago!! Thanks to tMP we've been able to put Emley on the map, get new players, improve the bands standard, and hopefully begin now to move up through the sections as a result.

We have also made so many new friends and other bands (that we either help out or that help us)that we didn't know existed so it's broadened our horizons and brought us in to contact with people we would never previously have dreamed possible.

Good effort all behind tMP, and all who use it, and long may this excellent service continue.

15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Yeah well done guys!!

tMP is definitely a way to improve your social life - and a good way to make sure you have random conversations about people with silly names and then totally embarrass yourself when you yell DARTH TUBA or the like across a bar....

Long live tMP! AVE IT!!!!!

Rach x

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And of course, with the dearth of NHS dentists across the land, we are all thankful that Rachel is a tMPer!

17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Ditto to all of the above & also a mention for all of the people (no names because I will forget to list them all) who have organised tMP scratch bands to perform at Whit Friday, Easingwold, CiN and Pontins to name but a few of the events. Whenever you talk to the spectators, they are always taken slightly aback by the way that we can pull together a band from all over the UK and Ireland, and actually put together a good performance (ie 13th at Scouthead 2003 & Delph 2005 on the Whit Fri circuit).

18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I couldn't agree more, fabulous work has been done in turning the brass band world into not only a band geek world, but an internet band geek world!
    But....I wouldn't have it any other way. We know that Banding is a marvellous thing and the hard work done by John et al only highlights this!
    Long may it continue....it must be three years nearly? Time for another cake I think!

19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I obviously made a big impression down Emley way...

D

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

...Straightmute :roll:

Sorry David, how could I forget you?!?

21. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Easily done! I assumed I'd offended someone by eating all the pies and peas. :cool:

Back on topic: yes a big thanks to John and all the moderators, particularly the persuasive Sparkly for convincing me to conduct the tMP Whit Friday band in 2003.

D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMp
    part
    team
    friends
    ammount