Let the browser wars commence...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

recent news story I just read which bekons the start of another Browser war... which side are you on? Firefox for me all the way.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Firefox
    Internet Explorer 7
    Browser
    Firefox 2.0
    Mozilla
  3. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Well as long as it'll be more protective against viruses and faster connection etc. go for it. If not what the point?

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Definitely Firefox - why else would M$ have copied the tabbed browsing for IE7?

5. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Definately IE for me. Apart from the fact I don't like installing software for the sake of it (why have 2 browsers installed?) 99% of my work is development of portals and web based software for the corporate market where IE dominates.

The only time I do use Firefox is to check public facing sites for compatability

I've never had a problem running IE & tbh I'm non-fussed about the tabbed interface - I'm quite happy having multiple windows open

My 10 cents worth.. :)

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

I think it was Opera that started with the tabs first - a much underestimated browser.

Still, I use Firefox and can't even use IE7 on my Linux machine (thankfully). It's not perfect and it's not as secure as people might be lead to believe, but it's better developed than IE and a much better browser (for me).

Competition is good, though. It means better products for us.

7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Downloaded Firefox last night, had a play. 20 minutes later have imported all IE stuff into Firefox and set as default browser.

Fantastic stuff. Made me realise the genius of Bill Gates - become a market leader by 'convincing' the consumer that Microsoft is the only market.

No going back for SuperMosh now - can't wait for the missus to go on the laptop though he he he

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

If you've just got Firefox can I recommend a couple of plugins? (available from the Mozila site gratis);

NoScript - stops Javascript on sites unless you say otherwise (for security)
    AdBlock Plus - stops pop-ups and other annoying ads
    IE Tab (for sites that don't like Firefox) - runs IE inside a tab.
    Temporary Inbox - if you want to register for something but don't want spam, creats an e-mail account that lives for 6 hours then vanishes, leaving nowhere to send the spam!
    Loads more on the site, too.

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I use IE purely because in Firefox, it won't let me scroll with my mousepad on the lappy. I've been thru all the settings and it just won't work. I do like the little bookmark buttons below the address bar on firefox.. but it's very annoyng that it won't scroll!

10. starperformer

starperformer Member

most websites are created with internet explorer in mind. so it works better with a higher proportion of websites.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

Which is true but odd, because Firefox (and Opera for that matter) are more W3C (the Net standard) compliant than IE is. It's just that IE is (still) more used cos it gets bundled with Windows.

Similar to VHS vs Betamax, the best doesn't neccesarily win out...............

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Firefox
    Internet Explorer 7
    Browser
    Firefox 2.0
    Mozilla
  13. BrianT

BrianT Member

I think comparing internet browsers is about as exciting as comparing washing machines, fridges or toasters. What's the fuss about?

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yet you could still be bothered to read the thread and even reply to it. :rolleyes:

15. BrianT

BrianT Member

Perhaps I should start a "toaster wars" thread?

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

Each to their own I guess.........

17. TheMusicMan

I agree with Dyl here I'm afraid. You obviously care enough to spend time (1) reading the thread and (2) replying to it... even if that reply, like mine here, adds no value to the discussion... ah well...

18. BrianT

BrianT Member

I was only asking a question. :(

I realise that if you run a website then it's in your interests to make sure it runs OK on every browser. So when new browsers are released you're itching to get hold of them to make sure your website works on them. You test continually against all the available browsers and you get to know the quirks and foibles of each one, and you're familiar enough with them to have a favourite and a least-favourite.

I'm just a consumer of the content - I use IE because it was on the machine when I bought it. I stick with what I know because I don't see any benefit of changing.

So my question remains "what's to get excited about?". Why should I ditch IE and plump for something else?

19. starperformer

starperformer Member

the true standard is that which is most used, not that which claims to be the standard. raising the spectre of W3C is a red herring, really.

the choice is so simple - go with the flow or go with the minority. each has its advantages and adherents. noone can claim that either is inherently superior, nor that the choice itself is particularly interesting, it is the content that should matter (as BrianT so astutely observed).

20. TheMusicMan

Hi Bryan - thanks for replying. It's all a matter of opinion and personal preferences to be honest. Tabbed browsing was a feature I immediately liked when I first experienced FF, and at that time I decided to stick with it for a week and subsequently founf I very much liked using the product. It seems that this feature was noticed by MS as they too have added this into their latest borwser IE7.

I also liked the ability to search for and add 'extensions' to Firefox - also something that MS spotted and did something about.

Competition is good eh! it raises the bar.

21. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I currently use Firefox - mainly because I like the tabbed browsing - but also because IE 6 and below always seemed to be under constant security threats.
    I have started using IE 7 at work and whilst its better than IE6 I can't really get enthused about it . The tabbed browsing is a major plus, but has it got the security? I will wait until we see how secure it is before using it at home.

We had to re-jig a couple of our programs (.aspx) at work as some web pages on our site wouldn't display correctly in IE7. So don't be suprised if you stumble across the odd funny if you upgrade.

22. Di

Di Active Member

I'm with firefox and have just upgraded to the supposedly all singing, all dancing version 2.0. I'm told it's supposed to spell check your words and you type, but it does no such thing for me. :(