Less Popular than Spelling?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EIBB_Ray, May 3, 2006.

1. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I heard on the news this morning that the American Scrip's National Spelling Bee is going to be aired in prime time on one of the national networks for the first time this year.

Spelling Bee?

National Prime Time?

Okay, sure there are Spelling Geeks, Chess Geeks, Band Geeks etc. But bands are at least a form of entertainment.... Spelling Bees?

There has got to be a way to bring our form of geekdom into the light of day. Sure we're stodgy and out-dated - so was ballroom dancing and certainly spelling.

I know it's an old topic that's been hashed and re-hashed, but surely this is a sign that armegedon cannot be far away......

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prime Time
    Spelling Geeks
    American Scrip
    National Spelling Bee
    Chess Geeks
  3. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We need an eye catching documentary to unearth some secrets of banding to the general public!

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've already had this with the BBC's Hard Spell. Yup - primetime national TV (although the link shows times of 5:00pm ish I remember this being shown at 7:00pm on week nights). All thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded...:rolleyes: :wink:

Maybee I don't get dis bekauze mi spelin' iz well bad...:redface:

I suppose you can't have too much of a go at the BBC for trying to promote general literacy, but lets be honest here, it is a bit geeky isn't it.

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

We want to encourage them, not scare them all away for good!

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Especially when all I get when going on a banding weekend eg to Pontins is "Is it like American Pie - When I went on band camp"

Didn't they also make a Film about the American Spelling Bee competition? Bet it was an exciting visit to the cinema for that one!!

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I wonder if they'll allow those dodgy British spellings or if they'll get the bell ;-)

I think Aquella and the Bee opens this weekend, but I'm not sure if that's the one your are talking about.

8. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I remember this film. I had the 'pleasure' of watching it. It was sooooo boring :eek: I must have been really bored that day lol!!

9. How can anyone find the after rehearsal pub crawl geeky? lol

10. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Pub crawl after a rehearsal? Now that is hardcore :eek: