Les Preludes- British Open 2001

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chris Hicks, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Hello banders,

Until recently i hadn't heard Les Preludes, but noticed I had the YBS winning performance from the Open on my laptop. Had a listen to it and Peter Roberts was simply stunning.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of where i could get a copy of the Dyke recording if there's one knocking about somewhere?

Chris

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Les Preludes
    Open
    YBS
    Dyke
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm pretty sure all the recordings that have done the rounds from that day are unofficial. ie: the ones that have made their way out come from copies taken from the band's own copy of their performance. I know the Fodens performance has found it's way out too (And for me, Fodens gave the music much more space and sympathy. I was a little turned off by YBS's pyrotechnics.) but I don't know if Dyke's performance has ever gone beyond the immediate membership of the band.

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

beat me to it Andi! Afaik the only 'official' DYke recording of Les Preludes is the old Denis Wright arrangement.
    My favourite recording of the Bram Gay arrangement is Cory's (on Brass Band Classics Vol.3)

5. Thirteen Ball

Lot of unecessary extra bottom-octave from the basses on that one. There's a couple of places it works, but a whole lot that it doesn't. Other than that though, it is a great performance.

Isn't the old arrangement by William Rimmer?

Either way, I think Bram Gay's is better. Much closer to what Liszt wrote and much less hacked-around. Shame they both felt the necessity to change the key though.....

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you're right Andi, and the Cory recording is BBC vol.2 not 3 - that's what I get for trying to scroll through the iPod without the boss noticing ;-)
    I know what you mean about the pedals, but they don't bug me as much as I know they bug a lot of bass players, and I love the style and general band sound.

7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I've only heard the YBS recording so don't know a great deal about the piece, I did read on 4br that foden's gave a good performance, i'll have to try and search that one out, I have in mind someone who is more then likely to have the recording! Thanks

8. boourns

boourns Member

I bought my copy of the YBS performance legitimately from Doyen, and was not a member of them or any other competing band (if only!). Think it cost me 15 quid for a single track too! I also did the same for the Fodens not quite winning performance of Harrison's Dream.

9. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

Yes the original arrangement was by Wiliam Rimmer. Having played both arrangements, Rimmer's can be successfully performed by lower section bands (as it was intended when originally arranged). Brams arrangement is much harder.

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

and neither come close to the original, but the Gay arrangement does at least try to replecate the colours where it can.

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The Cory performance on the CD is stunning

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Les Preludes
    Open
    YBS
    Dyke
  13. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

Probably the best analogy is that William Rimmer's was an arrangement and Bram Gay's was more a (but not perfect) transcription ...

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Is it a studio recording?

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yes!

16. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Might have to try and get a listen, although i'd rather hear a live performance even if it has mistakes, there's something more special about a live performance for me

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Available here if you want to buy the CD.

18. Thirteen Ball

Just be prepared for a lot of deeply unsympathetic pedalling.....

19. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

There is quite a lot of crude and unsympathetic pedalling in quite a few of the live recordings taken from this contest...........

20. Thirteen Ball

I've only heard two of the live ones from the day - but maybe that's one of the reasons why I like the Foden's recording so much. There isn't even one in that.....

21. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I know :)

I've heard all 6 placed performances - we were 7th. Some great playing, some poor playing, some "different" interpretations. Lots of pedals.......

22. Thirteen Ball

Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of places in that piece where an extra octave sounds really good, but there's plenty of places it just sounds plain wrong. For example, the opening phrases on the lower band are all perfectly balanced and need to be played in the octave written to work properly. A pedal there, however well played, just sounds too heavy, elephantine and clumsy - destroying the lightness of the phrase.

However the third and fourth lower band phrases (which I think start on a Cb and Bb respectively for BBb Bass) are a completely different kettle of fish. An extra octave dropped in there reeeeeeally quiet adds a certain subdued menace to the already eery nature of the music and sounds absolutely cracking if done well.

I've never been an advocate of a complete ban on pedals - I just think bass players should be exceedingly careful, and very sparing with where they use them.

For me, too many of my brethren of tuba are in the habit of mindlessly smashing anything longer than a semiquaver into octave-oblivion whether it's musical or not.