Les Neish (tuba) and Malcolm Forbes-Peckham (piano)

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by carlwoodman, Aug 30, 2006.

1. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've just returned from St James's Church, Piccadilly, London where Leslie Neish gave a faultless tuba recital accompanied by Malcolm Forbes-Peckham.

His programme displayed a wide variety of repertoire, some borrowed from strings (Benedetto Marcello arr. Sheridan - Sonata in F Major for cello / Vittorio Monti - Czardas), some unaccompanied (Penderecki - Capriccio / Oystein Baadsvik - Fungg) and some original music for tuba (Rodney Newton - Capriccio).

Each solo was delivered with effortless ease in a sometimes less than helpful acoustic for the instrument. Les has a relaxed demeanor and an easy-going, conversational style when addressing the audience complete with a hint of humour and irony.

A thoroughly enjoyable 45 minutes of brass playing in the heart of London.

It was a shame that there were barely 30 people in the audience as the quality of the programme and the musicianship displayed by the performers warranted a full house.

I did try to list this concert in the calendar but, having received the message that postings in that section are vetted by a moderator, it failed to appear!

Still, those that would like to hear Les give another tuba recital can pop along to St Martin's in the Fields this Friday at 1pm to hear him deliver a totally different programme.

I'll attempt to post in the calendar section again as I would think that at least one fellow tMPer in London would like to attend!
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear it went well - I had hoped to get along, as until last week I worked just round the corner on St James's Street, but they've now moved me into the City instead. I don't know what the problem with the calendar entry was, as they don't normally need moderating, but I'll follow Friday's one up anyway.
  3. LesNeish

LesNeish New Member

Hi Carl,
    Many thanks for your kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed both of my recitals. I was dissapointed with the audience at the St James' but I was glad that St. Martins was well attended. I am delighted with the way they went and I just wanted to thankyou for attending both of the recitals.

Will see you at the Open,