Les Miserables- The Musical

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

has anyone else been IN les mis?
    we've been doing it since tuesday night, and 2moro is the last one.
    :(

we've loved every minute of it, and the pics will be on the net soon.

VERY tired thou!

anyone seen it?

kk x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Les Miserables- The Musical.
    net
    anyone
    pics
    kk x
  3. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

I love Les mis, my favourite musical.
    are you doing it at school or operatic society?

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I've even read the book! :shock: (translated in Dutch of course)

5. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

college.
    im there now, waiting for the penultamate performance.

just me on horn 2night!

anyone that nos les mis, i say to you the words CART CRASH

im pretty nervous

kk x

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

My son is currently in early rehearsals for a spring production; he's playing 2nd trumpet but wishes he was on stage (a choice he made when he thought he would get the 1st chair :) )

I saw it in Toronto, featuring Michael Burgess who is an awesome tenor. It's a really great show and the Toronto production utilized a stage level roundabout in the centre to really good effect.

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

The movie is excellent too, but, in my opinion not as good as the stage show.

7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

seen it in londomn twice, have several different versions on cd, including the original french version that the musical is based on and the isreali cast cd!

and ive also read the book on no more tha 4 occasions!!!

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I saw it in New York a few years ago. Excellent show. I believe that a film version of the musical is being planned, but I don't know who is going to be in the cast or when it is due to be released.

9. Brian Kelly

By the way, I always get slightly annoyed by the way people - including reviewers, journalists, and conductors introducing songs or excerpts from "Les Miserables" - keep on saying and writing that it is set during the French Revolution. It isn't. The French Revolution was in 1793, and was sucessful, at least initially and for a few years afterwards. The fighting in "Les Miserables" is the attempted uprising of 1832, which failed. A bit like Paris in 1969, but with more violence on both sides, and greater ruthlessness on the part of the government. (sorry for giving away part of the plot to people who have not seen the show yet!)

OK, rant over.

10. Brian Kelly

And another thing.

"Les Miserables" is scored for an orchestra in which the brass section consists of 3 trumpets, 2 french horns - and one bass trombone! (excellently played on the Broadway cast recording by John Rojack, a big name freelance New York bass trombone player).

Who needs those toy tenor trombones anyway...

(only joking, Timbone, Lynchie, Scrapingthebottom, everyone else....)

11. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

the trumpet parts arn't very good anyway!

finished.
    had the best time, but im shattered.
    i will be going to sleep very soon.

kk x

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Les Miserables- The Musical.
    net
    anyone
    pics
    kk x
  13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Took my girlfriend to see it in the West End earlier this year and loved it. Moving story and infectious music. See it if you can, worth the effort!

14. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

LisaFaith's been in it!! And I went to watch! It was really good!! :) :)

15. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

les mis is one of my fave musicals... ive been to see it in manchester and liverpool i think... some of the songs are absolutely fantastic! others not so fantastic but still good! must go see it next time it comes up here!

16. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

That's 'cause it's the rubbishy schools version :p, the proper version has a brilliant piccolo trumpet part in Master of the House (which I heard done on Bb trumpet, as the player couldn't be bothered to change!)

17. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

hey, hey.

you really think our college could afford the entire version?!
    cost us enough for the schools version!

still good!!

kk x

18. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

In the full concert version, there's piccolo trumpet all over the place - on all three trumpet parts! (thankfully, not all at the same time... :shock: )

I've played the full concert version (on trombone) in what I believe is still the only amateur performance. I'm not sure it's even generally available - so money or not, I don't think a school could have got it!

Glad you enjoyed it Kate.

Dave