Leighton (Buddy) Rich

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by PeterBale, Apr 11, 2006.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to share with you all a message posted today on the Coldstream Band's forum:

I know there will be many out there who know Leighton and his sterling work with the Hampshire County Brass Band who will want to encourage him at this trying time. I have his email address if anyone wants to contact him.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Buddy) Rich
    Welsh
    MacMillan
    US
    Coldstream Band
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I knew Leighton years ago from my NYBBGB days in the 1960's and later when he was teaching in Harrogate, though I haven't seen him since the 1970's.
    A very talented man and a great character - I can hear his cheerful Welsh tones in my head as I type
    My best wishes and prayers go to him and his family in his fight and I hope he will see the clear blue sky through the dark clouds.
    - Ian Wilkinson

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

This is sad news; Leighton was obviously looking and feeling so much better last time I saw him in Harrogate. Although he moved to Hampshire many years ago now he is still held in very high esteem in these parts for his teaching and for the excellent Tewit Youth Band which he formed and conducted for many years.

All best wishes to Leighton and let's hope for some brighter news soon.

David

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I know Leighton by reputation only, and he will never have heard of me, but I wanted to wish him well anyway. He has made a huge impact on youth music in Hampshire :clap:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  6. SteveT

SteveT Member

The people who give their lives to creation of new musicians are worth their weight in Gold. Funnily enough, I was in army bands at the same time as he, and I am sure our paths crossed, but never really met. His work with the Hampshire Youth band is legendary.

The ability to create the motivation in children to pick up and learn as musical instrument is a glorious thing. I hope Leighton is comforted by this and may god bless him!

7. persins

persins Member

I have known about Leighton for years through the Hampshire youth legacy although only had the pleasure of meeting him fairly recently while he was conducting Ocean Brass. I am saddened by this news especially so soon after another Hampshire bander, Pete Robbins.

8. NeilW

NeilW Member

I only met Leighton briefly when he was retiring from Hampshire Youth and conducted the "massed bands" in one piece at their 40th anniversary (I played with HCYB under the founder - John Knight who's also still going strong and now in his 80s!)

He seemed a genuinly nice guy with a tallent for leading youngsters, and was certainly widely appreciated by those who knew him better than I that I talked to.

Neil.

9. PeterBale

The latest update from the Coldstream forum:

I'm sure Buddy would appreciate our thoughts and prayers at this time.

10. PeterBale

Another update from the Coldstream band forum: Leighton needs our prayers at this time:

11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I have just read (on www.4barsrest.com) of the death of Leighton Rich. This is sad news indeed but the reports of his failing health over the last few years means that is not entirely unexpected. Leighton did so much for bands in general, but in particular through his encouragment of young people to play and to aspire to the highest standards. Whilst working in Harrogate, where he spent ten years, he formed the Tewit Youth Band which continues to encourage and train young players today. He did great things too in Hampshire and there must be many hundreds of brass musicians out there who owe so much to Leighton's hard work and dedication to banding. Rest in peace Leighton and thanks for everything.

D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Buddy) Rich
    Welsh
    MacMillan
    US
    Coldstream Band
  13. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

It is very sad news a truly dedicated man to the cause of brass music. I have worked with him on a few occassions and could only admire his enthusiasm and warmth. He will be greatly missed.

14. PeterBale

I had an e-mail via the Coldstream band forum saying that the latest treatment had not been successful, but that Buddy was keeping his spirits up. He will be greatly missed, but at least his suffering is now at an end.

15. NeilW

NeilW Member

There's a tribute list on the Hampshire County Youth band site: www.hcyb.com with a growing number of postings.

As I have said before, I only met him once, but he seemed to be very tallented and well respected by the many people he taught.

Neil.

16. persins

persins Member

I was deeply saddened by the news of Leighton Rich's passing. Although I only had the pleasure of working with him during one rehearsal, it was obvious immediately that he had a deep passion for music and brass bands. He obviously had a great influence in educating and developing young musical talent wherever he went and will be sorely missed.

17. Leigton Rich Memorial Concert

The memorial concert is planned for The Anvil, Basingstoke Saturday 14th April 2007 (afternoon rehearsal, 7.30pm concert)

This event will be hosted by the current HCYB but it is also planned to form a band of ex members and colleagues - much along the lines of the HCYB 40th Anniversary. I do hope as many ex members as possible will be able to attend and play their socks off to the memory of this great man. Details of this event are still being finalised between Leighton's family and myself. More info will be available on this website soon. In the meantime MAKE A NOTE OF THE DATE!

18. NeilW

NeilW Member

Anyone else going on Saturday?

It seems I'm occupying one of the 1st Bari seats from the music that arrived the other day.

Neil.

19. PeterBale

I can't be there, unfortunately, but I have responded to the reminder I received. I'm sure it will be a great evening, full of happy memories for all concerned despite the sadness at his passing.

We have a Coldstream Band reunion a month later, and I'm sure we'll be drinking a toast to Leighton's memory as we reminisce.