Leicester Open Slow Melody 2007

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by WoodenFlugel, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've been asked by the LBBA to post details of the forthcoming solo contest, so here goes:

Leicester’s Open Slow Melody and Quartet Festival April 2007

Leicestershire Brass Band Association are pleased to confirm the date for this year’s Spring Festival as 1st April 2007.

The contest is open to any player (brass or percussion) from any band. It will be held at Groby Community College with the first sections commencing at 10am. Sections include percussion, slow melody air varie and quartets and the age categories range from under 11 years old to the open classes. Players of all abilities are welcome. All winners are presented with a trophy, certificate and medal with the runners up also receiving a medal and certificate.

If you would like a contest schedule, please contact:

Pam Green,
    59 Park Road,
    Coalville,
    Leicestershire
    LE67 3AE

2. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

any chance on email contact address, or phone number or even website?
    keen to support the contest by taking my quartets and a number of students but do get a bit turned off by the old snail-mail approach!

3. Di

Di Active Member

Hi,

I posted these details up in your earlier thread here..

It's a cracking contest with a great atmosphere, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

4. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Oops - sorry Di, I hadn't spotted them!

5. Di

Di Active Member

No worries. :) Good luck.

6. bandtaximum

bandtaximum New Member

My daughter has attended this contest for quite a few years, it is a good day out (lovely catering).

It is such a shame that it clashes with the National Youth Brass Band course this year thou.

7. WoodenFlugel

Well thanks for that - that'll be my band's crack team of Cob-Butterers,Tea Makers and Sandwich Fillers. I'll pass on the complements. :)

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

could someone please tell me the closing date for entries and who the adjudicators are as I haven't yet received a schedule?
    Thanks

9. WoodenFlugel

The closing date for entries is 10th March and the adjudicators will be advised nearer the time.

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Got my schedule now - looks a great day out. Hope to take a number of my students!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Open Slow Melody and Quartet Festival
    FONT=Arial
    Arial Narrow')Leicester
    LBBA
    Leicester Open
  12. postie

postie Member

For the first time Bestwood are taking five of it's players along on Sunday. Very much looking forward to it, and very good to see the contest is being very well supported.

13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Terrific (if a bit scary!) entry - 102 solo entries and 32 quartets! We are leaving the Forest at 7.30am so looks like it will be a long day. Best of luck to everyone taking part

14. treblif

treblif New Member

Hi, does anybody know a rough what time the later open sections will begin tomorrow?

15. Di

Di Active Member

Hi

I don't have any paperwork for the contest, but have been there with both children on many occasions. They have the use of at least three rooms and run several classes at once, usually beginning with the junior slow melody classes in two of the classrooms with air varies starting in the drama studio. I'm sorry I can't give you any specific timings, but I think it would be best advised to arrive at the contest start time and hang around as these often move very quickly.

Good luck to all entering. :)

16. postie

postie Member

Leicester Slow Melody Contest Results

Just got back from Groby Bestwood's kids did our band proud here are some of the early results:

Section A Junior Slow Melody 10 years and Under:

1st Alice Watson Harborough Training Band 182
    2nd Annie Morris Croft Silver 181
    3rd Rhiannon Symonds Forest of Dean 180

Section B Junior Slow Melody 11,12,13,14 years:

1st Lewis Squires Shirland 184
    2nd Chris Hall Kibworth 183
    3rd Francesca Slee Leics Coop 182

Section K Open Percussion

1st Anna Matthews Kibworth 191
    2nd Harry Morris Croft Silver 190
    3rd Ellie Wingett Leics Coop Youth 189

17. WoodenFlugel

Full results and press release courtesy of my mate Kirk at the LBBA:

PRESS RELEASE
    LEICESTERSHIRE BRASS BAND ASSOCIATION
    SPRING FESTIVAL
    SUNDAY APRIL 1ST - GROBY COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Please find below the results of the Leicestershire Brass Band Association Spring Festival: Solo, Duet and Quartet contest held at GrobyCommunity College. This year saw a record number of entries performing across eleven sections in front of adjudicators Dave Lea, Sharon Stansfield, Steve Pritchard-Jones and Steve Plant.

The winners in each section were as follows:

Section A: Junior Slow Melody (Ages 10 and under)

1st Alice Watson - Harborough Training
    2nd Annie Morris - Croft Silver
    3rd Rhiannon Symonds - Forest of Dean Area Wind Band

Section B: Junior Slow Melody (Ages 11-14)

1st Lewis Squires – Shirland Miners Welfare
    2nd Chris Hall – Kibworth Band
    3rd Francesca Slee – Leicestershire Co-operative

Section C: Junior Slow Melody (Ages 15-18 )

1st David Moore – Shirland Miners Welfare
    2nd Adam Jones – Harborough Band
    3rd Emma Davies – Shirland Miners Welfare

Section D: Open Slow Melody

1st Adam Jones – Harborough Band
    2nd Judith Hayes – Bilton Silver
    3rd Hannah Brown – Bilton Silver

Section E: Junior Air Varie (Air and Variations)

1st Adam Jones – Harborough Band
    2nd Lewis Squires – Shirland Miners Welfare
    3rd Lori Warsop – Forest of Dean Area Wind Band

Section F: Open Air Varie

1st William Carter – Innovate Skelmanthorpe Band
    2nd Mark Smith – Un-attached
    3rd Steve Barham – Leicestershire Co-operative

Section G: Open Duets

1st W. Carter & L. Brown – Innovate Skelmanthorpe/Yorkshire Imps
    2nd G. Jacklin & S. Barham – Leicestershire Co-operative
    3rd R. Taylor & A. Quinn – Shirland Miners Welfare

Section H: Junior Hymn Tune Quartets

1st Leicestershire Co-op Cornets
    2nd Hathern Girls
    3rd Shirland A

Section I: Junior Quartets

1st Shirland Miners Welfare
    2nd Shirland Euphoniums & Trombones
    3rd Shirland Girls

Section J: Open Quartets

1st Leicestershire Co-operative
    2nd Bilton Silver
    3rd RushdenTown

Section K: Open Percussion

1st Anna Matthews – Kibworth Band
    2nd Harry Morris – Croft Silver
    3rd Ellie Wingett – Ratby Cooperative Youth

18. ian_b

ian_b Member

Just like to say, well done to all the players from Croft. First time they have all entered a contest like this, and we came away with 2 second prizes.

well Done all!!!

19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Can I please add some congratulations too?

Firstly, and foremost, to the organisers for handling such a large entry in a professional, friendly and settling way. We left the Forest of Dean at about 7.30 this morning to make our way "up north" not really knowing what we were getting into, but the directions that had been sent to me by Pam Green were great - no problems at all with the journey.

When we arrived the classes and rooms were clearly signed and there were ample practice rooms. The catering was excellent and very reasonably priced (I particularly liked the sign on the marble cake that said "no, it's not mouldy!"

The official accompanist coped admirably with the accompaniment for my students (even the one who seemed to lose the ability to count to 2 in his slow section - doh!) in the junior air varie class and I liked the way that all the competitor's were given plenty of time and assistance with tuning up.

The adjudicator (Sharon Stansfield) was very encouraging in the 10 and under slow melody class which was great as my daughter found it quite strange play completely unnaccompanied and also suffered from a sticky first valve all the way through her baritone solo!

All of my students and their parents thoroughly enjoyed the day out and I'd like to say a big well done to them all, and give a hearty congratulations to Lori (not Lois as it said in the programme) Warsop for coming 3rd in the junior air varie class and to Rhiannon Symonds for coming 3rd on her trombone in the 10 and under slow melody class.

We hope to go back again next year - and perhaps see some of these competitors again in July at the Forest of Dean Solo Contest (pm me for more details)

20. will86

will86 New Member

The duet winners were W. Carter (Skelmanthorpe) and Laura Brown Yorkshire Imps, not A. Quinn, if you could change that please.

Thanks

21. WoodenFlugel

Hmm thats odd as my post came straight from the horses mouth (ie an LBBA official) and that is the press release being sent out to 4BarsRest, the Bandsman etc. Anyone like to confirm which is right?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Open Slow Melody and Quartet Festival
    FONT=Arial
    Arial Narrow')Leicester
    LBBA
    Leicester Open