Leicester Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Results courtesy of Dinie:

2nd Section:
    1. Cawston - 177
    2. Forresters - 176
    3. Hopkins - 175

Best Instrumentalist: Solo Cornet, Hopkins
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hooray for Cawston! And a special mention for the excellent 1st Baritone - my big sister! :clap:

3. vonny

vonny Member

Congratulations to Cawston Band - wish i was there celebrating with them. I did manange to speak to Chunks before and after the contest... I even stayed awake to phone him :biggrin:
  4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

But did you manage to stay awake while he was talking to you :wink: :wink:
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Results curtousy of our roving reporter mumsie

uneregistered section

2nd Enderby Junior Band
    1st Ratby Co-operative Youth Band

Best Instrumentalist : Kit percussion, Enderby Junior

4th section

3rd 183 points, Bestwood Welfare Black Diamonds Band
    2nd 184 points, Dronfield CMW Band
    1st 185 points, kirkby Coliery Welfare Band

Best Instrumentalist : Solo cornet, Dronfield

3rd section
    3rd 181 points, Ratby Co-operative mid band
    2nd 183 points, Enderby youth Band
    1st 184 points, Leicestershire Co-operative Band - Oceans

Best Instrumentalist Euphonium Leistershire Co-operative Band

1st section
    4th 187 points Hathern band - Prisms
    3rd 188 points B0llington Band - Quintescence
    2nd 189 points Enderby Band - Tallis Variations
    1st 190 points Kibworth Band - Spectrum

Best instrumentalist Flugel B0llington

Open section
    3rd 192 points Towcester Band - Land of the Long White Cloud
    2nd 193 points Ratby Co-operative Band - Essence of Time
    1st 194 points Kibworth Band - Sounds

Best instrumentalist Euphonium Kibworth

Best section Trombones Ratby

Points And test pieces to follow
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  6. NeilW

NeilW Member

I've just got home (through the fog!)

Nice to meet Mumsie & Vickie and a few other folk there!

I don't know the results of the 1st section, but the pieces were (draw no in brackets):

Bedworth: Purcell Variants (6)
    B o l l ington: Quintescence (10) ( thanks tMp profanity filter!!)
    Broseley: Purcell Variants (3)
    Chapeltown: Withdrawn
    Enderby: Tallis variations (1)
    Hathern: Prisms (9)
    Kibworth: Spectrum (2)
    Kottingley: I think it was called Excalibur? (7)
    Regent: Comedy Overture ( 8 )
    Stannington: Withdrawn
    Stonesfield: Force of Destiny (4)
    Wakefield: Lorenzo (5)

(Some of these were cribbed off the someone sitting in the row in front of me, so I could have read them wrong! I know I can't spell either...)

Good venue too...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  7. Bonesmalone

Bonesmalone Member

Just heard we won the first and open sections, Yaaaaa hooooo
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

More importantly I stayed awake during the test piece!!!! Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!!
  9. postie

postie Member

Pretty Pleased with our result in our first full year back in Contesting Bestwood have come in the prizes four times in six contests not to bad at all. Well done to Kirkby and Dronfield and all the other prize winners in the other sections.
  10. Yay two section both won and well done simon on Euph
  11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Congratulations to Kibworth - the sooner they get promoted back in to the Championship Section where they deserve to be the better!
  12. mr b

mr b Member

Well done L.B.B.A for a good contest,this festival is getting bigger each year and it wont be too long before a larger venue is needed.

On a personal note i listened to every band in sections 1&2 and the Open,and IMO Carlton Brass should feel very hard done by in section 2.
  13. Bonesmalone

Bonesmalone Member

God point well made Mr B.

I think we definatley need a new venue. The contest was spilt into two halls but we need somewhere with a bar etc on site and more comfortable surroundings. If you were not on stage or listening then you had to hang around in the corridors or go out in the freezing cold.

Congrats to simon by the way for best instrumentalist in the open section, You played well Lad
  14. Di

Di Active Member

Or look around the trade stands in the very large trade stand area, or sit in the dining room, or sit in the reception area.;)
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Aww I didn't get to meet you, shame really. And I was sat next to Mumsie for most of the Open section.

Being pedantic, Bedworth actually played Purcell Variaitions (Kenneth Downie) and Knottingley played Endeavour (don't know who wrote this...:rolleyes: )

Aha that explains it then :biggrin:

My old school!!

I enjoyed myself today - and believe me thats not always the case where band is concerned at the moment. Saw lots of old friends and heard some great performances - in particular Kibworth and Ratby in the Open section and Kibworth, Wakefield, Knottingly and Hathern in the 1st section. Sadly I missed Enderby's performance, but was pleased for their result as they have been through some iffy times recently. Oh and a special mention for Towcesters performance of Land of the Long White Cloud - one of my favourite pieces and really really well played. Excellent :clap:

I think the venue is OK. It a shame there is no bar to speak of (but it is a school!!!) but the main hall is a resonable place to play in and the back stage facilities are pretty good too. There was a lot of noise in the hall from outside, which was a shame but I don't remeber this being a problem on stage so maybe it wasn't an issue for the bands. If you're desperate for a pub then the 1852 is a stones throw away, and I think a few of the bands spent the afternoon in there. I know a certain Trombone / Euph / Baritone player by the name of Mr S March did. :biggrin:
  16. WoodenFlugel

Oh I forgot....pieces played in the Open section (in programme order with draw in brackets)

Broseley Band (5) Year of the Dragon (Sparke)
    Derwent Brass (4) Blitz (Bourgeois)
    Kibworth (1) Sounds (Golland)
    Ratby (3) The Essence of Time (Graham)
    Regent Brass (2) Chivalry (Ellerby)
    Towcester Studio (6) Land of the Long White Cloud (Sparke)
  17. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Very happy with result!!!!!! (2nd in 4th section). New venue needed desperately. Lecture theatre was unsafe for the amount of people who were in there for the announcing of the 4th section results. If there had been a fire there's no way people would have got out in time. And pub across the road isn't the same as an onsite bar.

Looking forward to next week now, hope to go one better at Leamington!
  18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Was a good section for NEMBBA bands! You have done well this year, should be an interesting areas in 2006.
  19. WoodenFlugel

No its not, I agree but as a place to play (which is the main thing surely?) I don't think there is anything wrong. It is a lot better than an awful lot of contest venues up and down the country (the Midlands Areas spring to mind).

Please bear in mind that this is a relatively young contest and is growing year on year. I admit the lecture theatre wasn't ideal (although I've never played there - even in my school days) The neighbouring Bushloe school has a hall very similar to Guthlaxtons. Maybe if the contest keeps growing the LBBA will consider using that. I guess its down to budget at the end of the day.

Then again I reckon if the only gripe to come out of the day was "well, we had to walk fifty yards to the pub" the LBBA should be well pleased and they should be applauded for doing such a good job.
  20. NeilW

NeilW Member

I got a private message thinking it was PURCELL VARIANTS by Peter Meecham from someone (you'll know who you are :) ) - I didn't hear it....

I THINK (by the avatar!) that it must have been Mr B who I was sitting behind - so its your writing I couldn't read (thanks anyway!)

I thought Mumsie & Vicki were going as I was - did they come back?

The prospect of more than 90 mins driving in the fog (which was actually > 2 hours!) meant I left before it got dark, so missed the open.

So what were the rest of the results of the open / 1st section????