Leicester Cancer Hospice Needs YOU!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Dec 8, 2008.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

This doesn't quite fit in to the 'player dep' forum, and I'd appreciate it if someone would consider making this sticky! No one likes a Scrooge.

Anyway, my mother works for LOROS, a cancer hospice in Glenfield, Leicester. Most of the people who go to the hospice don't have long left sadly.

Over Christmas where at all possible residents are sent home to be with their families. Unfortunately a small number of people won't be well enough to do this so they have to spend the Christmas period on the wards.

On Christmas Eve the families of current residents and past residents (the bereaved) meet up for about 45 minutes to sing Christmas Carols for those unable to go home. Last year I was able to get a couple of friends together and accompany the singing with a small brass group, and it definately made the evening a bit more special.

As I'm living in Auckland for the year I'm not available this Christmas! So I'm putting the word out to try to find a few people (or even a lot!) who might be able to go down and play this year.

They can't pay you, but I can arrange lifts if you live reasonably nearby and you will get mulled wine and pies galore!

If you are a player and will be anywhere near Leicester on Christmas Eve please consider giving up an hour to make the last Christmas of a few people a little bit better. Cos that's what Christmas is about! :D

If you are able to help please post below or PM me and we will sort stuff out. Please put a shout out at band too!

Thanks a lot everyone, have a great Christmas. It's 25 degrees here and I am sunburnt...

2. katsdad

katsdad New Member

Xmas Eve

Hi Marc
    I'm probably working until lunch time on xmas eve but i could turn up with baritone in hand if you are that desparate.
    Just think of Kat and Leigh-Anne Adams and you may remember me and if i can drag them along i will do.

Steve

3. katsdad

katsdad New Member

4. Di B

Di B Member

I will see if I can get any of kibworth band to go and get the message to a few at enderby too.

Do you have an approximate time you were thinking of as I am busy in the day but could possibly do later on.

Ta.

5. nethers

nethers Active Member

Thanks for the offers guys!

I'll get the exact times for you and post them in the next day or so. You'd all be welcome I'm sure, and if any of you can get a supply of carol books for the evening too, that would save me a job!

Thanks again.

6. Angelia Jenna

Angelia Jenna New Member

If you can give me a time you may have a horn player! Also see if William can play trumpet too.

The time is important!

Cheers
    Ange

7. nethers

nethers Active Member

Okay - players will need to meet at LOROS at 6:15 and the carols will last for about an hour. Last year we moved around the hospice to get to all of the patients, things are done fairly steady I think we did about 10 carols in all.

I have a list of the carols they want on the way.

If you can all please confirm that the time is ok for you (I know it's a bit early if you have to work!) and also let me know if you can raid your band library for some carol books!

Thanks again

8. Angelia Jenna

Angelia Jenna New Member

Thanks

Me and william can do it so you have a cornet and horn player guaranteed.
    xxx
    Goodluck

9. Di B

Di B Member

I can do euph at that time but will have to bring a listener along too. If thats ok great.

10. nethers

nethers Active Member

Listeners will be welcome!

So, can I please now confirm who will be there? Judging from the thread we should have:

Di B (euph - playing Bb bass book?)
    Angie + Will (horn and trumpet)
    Steve Adams (baritone) and would you ask Kat and Leigh-Anne too please?
    Deborah Nutt (cornet)

If you can all confirm you will be attending, that would be great. Dress is casual (Christmassy if you like!) and you will need to bring a stand or lyre.

Next we need carol books! Can you steal some from band Angie?

Some of the playing is indoors, some is out (well in doorways) so bring a coat! Also lighting isn't always great, but the singers will have torches so just recruit one to stand behind you if you need it.

Thanks again guys - I did this last year and it is a really worthy cause, you'll earn extra good points with Santa!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leicester Cancer Hospice Needs
    Leicester
    Christmas Carols
    Scrooge
    LOROS
  12. nethers

nethers Active Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  13. Di B

Di B Member

I have just received a mail from Ratby band - they can bring a cornet, horn and trombone to the group too.

I will send them on the details.

14. nethers

nethers Active Member

That's fantastic! Thanks for that. I played with Ratby for about ten years, who's going along?

15. katsdad

katsdad New Member

Kat has managed to round a few up at the pub for the hospice you could have a full band at this rate.

16. nethers

nethers Active Member

Great! We may have more brass than singers at this rate!

I've still had no offers for carol books - is there somebody who can borrow a set from their band for the evening?

Thanks a lot!

17. katsdad

katsdad New Member

I have red books for euph,trombone,1st cornet and horn.As for the rest the bands i practise with are all out on that night so sorry but thats the best i can do.
    steve

18. nethers

nethers Active Member

It's a start! Thanks Steve.

19. Di

Di Active Member

Did you buy another set or did you manage to find the last lot? ;)

20. katsdad

katsdad New Member

not found the other yet so it was easier just to replace them but they will turn up when Kat or Leigh Annes bedroom gets a good tidy up. Any more books would help folks.
    steve

21. katsdad

katsdad New Member

Good news Chris Holmes (Ratby) has a complete set of green carol books for Wednesday evening and he will be there with them at 6pm. This should be fun.
    Steve

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leicester Cancer Hospice Needs
    Leicester
    Christmas Carols
    Scrooge
    LOROS