Left Hander Mouse Query

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Apr 25, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Are there any other left handed tMPer's out there??

I'm having mouse problems, I don't know which hand to use to control my mouse :tongue:

which do you use??

I have always used my right hand but its really difficult and very uncomfortable :(

I'm just starting to try using the mouse with my left hand with limited success at present :(

anybody got any tips??

Fi
    xx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Use your left hand and go to the mouse control applet in "Control Panel" to set it up for left hand use by switching the buttons around.

3. meandmycornet

i've just done that :D it works really well, but its gonna take a bit too adjust to it :tongue:

4. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm left-handed!! :biggrin:

My right-handed mother taught me to use the mouse with my right hand, which is what I do!! No problems so far, but if I'm sat at the computer all day doing last minute coursework, I often like to swap hands after a few hours...

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm left handed too! but I use my right hand to operate the mouse, this leaves my writing hand (left) free to scribble down messages, music, and use the keyboard etc.

;)

6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Oh yeah, I didn't realise that not everyone could use the computer and write at the same time! Now I feel special!! :)

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

There is an option to worrying about using the mouse left handed - utilise all the keyboard functions, and you need never use the mouse again...

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm left handed, well actually more ambidextrous as I can do most things equally well (or badly ;) ) with both hands. I use my mouse right handed and work in pretty much the same way as Roger does - generally I have a pen / pencil in my left hand to scribble down notes, make sketches (if at work) etc etc. Being left handed does have its uses...

I don't think this was a conscous choice - the first time I used a mouse it happened to be on the right side of the keyboard so I started to move it with my right hand - it never occured to me to change it over.

Incidentally I work with a chap who is right handed and uses his mouse left-handed so he can write with his right hand. Who says blokes can't multi-task? ;)

9. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I too am left handed although I have managed to integrate quite well in a right handed world.

I have always used cutlery the 'right' way but tend to use my left hand if just using a spoon or fork. I have always used scissors right handed. I write and sew left handed, but use the computer mouse in my right hand. As Roger says it is useful to be able to write and type at the same time using the mouse. However, I do find it awkward using the numeric keypad with my right hand!

There are solutions though. As suggested, you can set your mouse to switch the left and right buttons around, but you can get a left handed mouse here and a left handed keyboard here!

Hope this helps the more sinister members of tMP.

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous. :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Left Hander Mouse Query
    tMPer
    Left Hander Mouse
    mouse problems
    right hand
  12. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

I'm left handed, but using a mouse is one of the things I find I can only do right-handed. I'm sure there must be left-handed 'mice' though... there seem to be left handed versions of lots of other things.

13. meandmycornet

I've given up trying to use the mouse left handed :tongue: it just doens't work and after all i've used my mouse with my right hand for the last 10 or so years so I'm used it now, even if I do still find it notoriously difficult :tongue:

As for doing other things left handidly (is that a word??) I seem to do most things with my hand, I think my right side is actually quite weak because of this and thats probably why I can't control the mouse properly :tongue:

14. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

As another tMP southpaw I've adapted to using a mouse with my left hand but with the buttons set "normally" I couldn't get on with clicking the "wrong" buttons!

Me too. Also in my younger (and a tad more athletic!) days when playing cricket I would bat right handed but bowl left handed just to confuse everyone. I tend to use scissors upside down with my left hand - so I don't do scissory things if I can help it.

15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'm left handed and I use the mouse with my left hand without swapping button finctions around. To be honest I've never had any problems and I've always used it this way.

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm left handed but use the mouse in my right hand most of the time. Depending on what I'm doing, I sometimes use my left hand, but it's just what I've been used to all my life.

17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I'm another sinistrous person. I always use the mouse with my left hand and have never had any problems.

On the other hand (sorry) I write with my right hand, as that is how I was taught.

Naturally, I also play my bass trombone right-handed (presumably I could have a left-handed bass trombone made with the valves mounted the opposite way round to the normal position, but it would be a one-off job and so very expensive, plus I am totally used to playing right-handed).

One of the tenor trombone players on the legendary "Tutti's Trombones" album played left-handed, but I can't remember who it was, and the CD, unlike the LP, does not have any photographs of the players.

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Fulham has a left handed bass trombone player.

(Stop smirking LBB!)

Guy plays on an unadapted bass trombone, and doesn't seem to contort his thumb when plugging...

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Interesting...

If played left-handedly, with the trombone held with the right hand and the bell section positioned over the right shoulder, then, unless the trombone has been adapted, the bar, paddle or whatever is used to activate the valve(s) will be on the wrong side of the bell section, as they will have been designed to be operated by the left hand, not the right hand.