Least Favourite piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Feb 7, 2006.

1. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Three Figures has never struck me as being a very strong test piece. I quite like The Maundsell(spelling?) Forts. Three Figures, seems to have nothing of the atmosphere as say Kenilworth for example.

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

3. ericthered

ericthered Member

Brass Blot, the European piece from last year. What a load of pond scum that turned out to be. Dull.

4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

There are some real corkers in here! I'll add Judith Bingham's Prague (plague). Bleurgh.

5. Mesmerist

*Wipes away tears of mirth* Does this piece even still exist? I so want to hear it, it must be so very bad.

6. GER

GER New Member

Although it's going back quite a few years I think it is difficult to find more inane, boring rubbish than the arrangements of Eurovision songs, specifically 'Congratulations' 'Puppet on a string' and 'I'm walking on sunshine'. I'm still shuddering when writing this and it must be 20 years since they were in the folder!.
    Excuse me I'm going into a darkened room now until I can the tunes out of my head!!!

Euphonium Lite and Mesmerist like this.
  7. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

Must have missed this post originally.
    Blitz - conductor saying 2nd horn (random selection of instrument before I get slaughtered) why did you play a right note in bar 73?
    BUT Amaranth, has anyone else on here ever had to play it? (National finals 1992). After several rehearsals, we asked the conductor if there was a melody anywhere in the piece.

Mesmerist likes this.
  8. Mesmerist

Stupidly I first thought you meant that Peter kay song - road to Amareallysillyitus or what ever it was called. You clearly didn't.

9. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

No Amarillo has a good melody line compared to Amaranth. I mentioned this piece on another thread - my father saying after hearing the piece on contest Eve for the first time "I'm not sitting through that sh*te 18 times tomorrow"!

Jack E, mikelyons and Mesmerist like this.
  10. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Re. the 'New Buckenham Suite', I came across this item on another forum, written by someone practising for a contest:

"One of my jobs is to drop a golf ball into a bucket, to represent a hen laying an egg. As the band are wanting to do well, and have got their eye on promotion, it's a serious business, and I thought I could do no better than to ask list members for advice."

Which drew the reply:

"Ah! Just what we need to take over from the Great Vibrato Debate! Just make sure there's not too much vibrato in the golf ball ;) Which kind of bucket are you planning on using anyway?? Large bore or Medium Bore?"

To think that, at first, I assumed his post was a spoof . . . until I found the piece on YouTube, and listened to it . . . :eek:

It reminded me of a line in a book by PG Wodehouse:
    "Her laugh was like a squadron of cavalry galloping over a corrugated iron bridge."

Two least favourites; the Dambusters' March. A military march? To commemorate a squadron with more hitting power than any other until the atomic bomb was invented? You have got to be JOKING, Eric Coates!! It sounds the sort of stuff you'd play in Eastbourne Winter Gardens to avoid frightening little old ladies in the audience!

And 'Imperial Purple' - it starts off okay, but the ending goes on and on and on and on . . . BLAHHHH!! BLAHH! BLAAAAAAHHH! BLAAAHH!! And, just when you think it's done . . . BLAAAAHH!!

I think if I ever hear it played live, I'd find it hard not to yell at the conductor:

"Just SHOOT the damn thing, will yer? And put it out of its misery!!"

Jack

11. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

No, That's "a Christmas Adventure". Apart from showing the films over the Period, what's it got to do with Christmas?

12. toptutti

toptutti Member

For me it's more about the part than the piece. No matter how exciting the piece it's not much fun going um-chuck all night

Jack E likes this.
  13. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hopefully if you are a tutti (solo) cornet player then you won't have to 'um-chuck all night' :)

toptutti likes this.
  14. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

New buckenham suite is music (yes it is terrible) compared to Amaranth, believe me

15. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

11 years later.. and I'm sticking with this.

1 or 2 decent arrangements aside, nothing makes me cringe like a concert of Xmas cheese.

16. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Euphman - my mind is well and truly boggled!!

If I ever get good enough to make it into the band, and the score for 'Amaranth' is dished out, I think I shall phone in to say I'm down with double pneumonia, ingrowing toenails, farcy, bots, magnesium staggers, New Forest Eye, and ringworm!

17. pbirch

pbirch Member

my least favourite - "You raise me up"

18. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Member

Having listened to Frank Renton's programme from last Friday I would add Tubular Brass (Bells) to my list. Whilst I appreciate (although not necessarily like) the original by Mike Oldfield, I found the brass band arrangement to be a repetitive dirge. I'm surprised that it seems to be celebrated so much.

19. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

Really? I rather like it, but then I love the originsl; one of the first albums I ever bought.

20. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Member

I believe that Frank's show is covering the whole of the work over various episodes so I'll give it another shot with an open mind. :)