Learning to Drive....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jan 21, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello peoples :D

I got my provisional liscence today :D:D:D (only took 6 days and it said on the form that it takes at least 3 weeks!) so now i'm finally going to learn to drive!

I was just wondering how many hours of lessons on average it takes to be ready to take the test, then I can give myself a sensible goal as to when I should have taken my test by!

So how many hours of lessons did it take you to be ready to take your test?

Fi xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    D:D
    peoples
    liscence
    goal
    D
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I would say by about 20-25, however i myself haven't reached 17 yet, few months to go!

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I dont have a clue :p But well done and stay down south untill youre a very very good driver :p

5. make sure u get a good instructor

i had 20 hours with Bsm , who in my opinion werent that good

they did a like progress check and said i needed another 20 hours , had a 1 hour lesson with another instructor and he thinks i need about 5

quite a big difference there

i would stay clear of the big big firms as whilst they have the 'protection' of being a big firm if something goes wrong , they normaly charge top money and arent always that good

now ive got another instructor who is great , lessons are half the cost of bsm , and its a shiny new bmw 120 that im learning in :D:D:D

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As a current learner driver (albeit on an island with no traffic lights, no roundabouts, no yellow lines and only one no entry sign), I guess it depends. I'm lucky in that my (incredibly patient) girlfriend and a couple of others here locally with full driving licences, are willing to give up lots of their spare time to sit in the car with me whilst I practice. I've only had three lessons thus far, but they've been a month or two apart, and I've practised almost every day in between. I feel confident enough now to say that I reckon I could take my test in say, April of this year, with a glut of lessons beforehand (not saying, I'd pass, mind... ;)).

7. julestools

julestools Active Member

I had five lessons before I took my test in 1981 but I had been driving on the farm since the age of 11 in various tractors, landrovers and a Ford D300 lorry. I was also using a motorcycle on the road at the time too so I had loads of bad habbits. My son who is 12 in April has been driving for two years and quad biking since 5. My daughter won't even get on the lawn mower.

xx

Jules

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think I had 21 lessons, but that was with absolutely no practice between lessons. I would echo the comments above about big school of motoring firms. I've heard that some of them enter you for your test after the first lesson, and then charge you a fortune for extra lessons to get you ready for your test (which you may still fail). You are much better with a small independent instructor. If some of your friends have learned to drive already, see who they recommend. Word of mouth is the best advertising....

Good luck :D

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

My instructor told me that you need one lesson for every year of your life. I've had three lessons thus far, so on that basis, I await another 39.... (sigh!) Hope I can prove him wrong!

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I went with BSM and did it in 16 hours... i guess it depends who you get instructing you... think between 15 and 25 hours is the usual time to the first test...

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I had 6 lessons and then passed my test. I taught both my sons to drive and they both passed first time too. First couple of lessons were at night in big empty car parks to teach them how to control a car properly, including reverse and parking , weaving in and out of cones etc, before venturing on to roads.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    D:D
    peoples
    liscence
    goal
    D
  13. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

I got to the end of the lesson booking card, and got told ' You shouldn't get to the end of one of these before your test':oops: - but then again, I never got to practise between lessons, and thought I only got put in for my test at all as I was going to University at the end of the week! (Passed by some fluke though - and had to re-learn after 4 car-less years at Uni!) So in my case probably about 25-30 lessons.

14. meandmycornet

Wanna give me a lesson at Tiverton? :tongue:
    I'm hopefully going to do 2, 2 hour lessons a week (until I can't afford it anymore!!) and then hopefully it'll mean I pass quicker, I can't really do any practice inbetween because daddy isn't keen on me 'driving' his lovely new ford focus :tongue:

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

My dad taught me to drive and then I had a bunch of lessons to pass the driving test. I was the only one of my siblings to pass my driving test first time and while I was doing the test dad was out insuring his left-hand-drive citroen for me. That's how confident he was...
    Mind you I did have to practice in a Reliant Regal until my mum drove it off a cliff and wrecked it.
    BMB
    xx

16. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I took from mid October to late April on 1 2-hour lesson a week, minus uni holidays. It seems quite a bit longer then average but I didn't get a chance to practice in between. I'm not looking forward to going home this summer, as I think I'll have to get a few refresher lessons having not driven for a whole year!

Good luck!

17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I started in May and passed November, first time...
    but, it depends on how well you do etc.... some people learn faster than others... but, I wouldn't *rush* into getting your full license... there's loads of things to learn so best to take it in bit by bit.

Good luck....

especially to your instructor!!!! :lol:

18. meandmycornet

:O Nao! How can you say that?! :tongue: I'm guna be a fantastic driver! :tongue:

I need to decide who I want to learn with though :confused: it seems as broad as it long to me :tongue:

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

Try word of mouth Fi... I did, and I had a great instructor - really more personal than the AA or BSM!

20. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I had Bill

21. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

How can I say that?... was quite easy :p ;-) :lol:

Go with.... oh, I cant remember the name of the company... :lol: ...but my instructor was great... Tony... he taught my brother and mum before me as well...

I'll tell you the name of the company I learnt with when I see ya in Tavy in a few weeks.... remind me!!!

:)

22. meandmycornet

but that'll be miles away! some bloke isn't guna come allllll the way from tavy to teach me!! I'm thinking about learning with 'Alan Best' I think his name is, Becky at work said he's dead nice and stuff :tongue: