Learning to drive!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

At the ripe old age of 42 years and 3 months, I've had my first driving lessons! (Too lazy to bother learning when I was in London!)

Some people say you need 1.5 driving lessons per year of your age, so I need 63 lessons??? Hell, I hope not!

It's been going well so far. I have the advantage, being on Arran, of not having to worry about roundabouts or traffic lights (save the temporary ones for the odd roadworks), but I'll certainly get plenty of oppotunity to practice hill starts here!

At the moment I'm just aiming to take my test on Arran, realising that I'd have to take another one if I wished to drive on the mainland, but even learning on Arran will improve my job prospects!

Biggest problem, concentration is prone to wander slightly at times (Is that age related?) but my driving instructor seems reasonably impressed with my progress thus far.

Any other 'late starters' out there? Please share your experiences! :)
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hey good luck with the lessons Dave! Lets hope your better at steering the car than you are at controlling the sense of humour! ;)
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Its exactly 30 years ago today that I passed my car test. That's a scary thought - I must be getting old :eek: :frown:

I only had 6 lessons to learn how to pass a test - but I had spent the summer holidays driving my mum around because she was too ill to drive herself...

Good luck, Dave: I'm sure you can do it - but pray tell: why is a test on Arran not valid on the mainland?

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Because we drive cars on the mainland rather than sheep or cattle as they do on Arran :wink: :wink:

All joking apart, good luck mate.
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It may surprise some of you to know that I am only on my 3rd car since learning to drive. After passing my test, I had an old banger that lasted 3 years, before getting a nice Honda Concerto which I had for 7 years and I have had my shiny Chrysler Neon for just coming up to 12 months. That makes 11 years, so I only learned when I was 38. I only had about 15 lessons butI had to take my test 3 times.Don't worry if you don't pass 1st time, Dave, all the best drivers do that. Just don't go driving off any mountain tops!
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Awww, good luck mate. :clap::clap:
  7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

hehe have fun and dont run over any sheep :eek:
  8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'm going from memory here, but I'm fairly sure that for a test to be valid for driving in mainland Britain, it has to include at least one set of traffic lights.
  9. six pints

six pints Active Member

im at a grand old age of 20 (but i ike to pretend 19) and have never even bothered to try (apart from that time i was fifteen and was playing [retend driving in the bcar and crashed it into the garage- car was only 3 hours old as well whoops). My logic is not to drink and drive, so never ever drive!

Good luck learning dave!

(how long have i been away? dinie is a mod!!!)
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Jessop explained this (ta!) Unfortunately, my Internet connnection has been down since 2.30 this afternoon and has only just come back up.

No traffic lights on the island, nor roundabouts, nor yellow lines......
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

My mother-in-law started driving lessons at the age of 63 and took 12 tests in a manual and 2 tests in an automatic before finally passing at the age of 68... As she once shockingly said to me "It was the gears that ******ed me". Not the sort of language you expect from a dear white-haired old lady. (I realise that will be asterisked out, insert word of your choice. You won't be far wrong)

She is easily the worst driver it has ever been my misfortune to go in a car with. She won't do motorways or dual carriageways, she lets go of the wheel entirely to let it spin back after a turn and her cars never keep wing mirrors for more than a couple of weeks.

12. Di

Di Active Member

That would make it at least since June then. ;)

Now all you need is a good one way system and you'll only have to learn to steer in one direction!
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Welcome back Cheryl... what's happened to that cracking avatar of yours then?
  14. Di

Di Active Member

Eh hmmm, you wouldn't be trying to STEER her off topic now would you John? ;)
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Jeez... bad car day today. After putting in lots of practice between lessons, I kept struggling with my starting and changing gear! Problems that up until now I hadn't encountered! Luckily I avoided any accidents!

Dammit, why can't I learn in an automatic!!!!???? I'll tell you why. 'cos the instructor hasn't got one to learn in!!

Ho hum, I'm sure (well, 'hopeful') it'll be OK tomorrow....

(heh, heh! ;))
  16. Di

Di Active Member

Aww [hugs]
  17. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Good luck Mr, You can do it.
  18. flower girl

flower girl Member

u'll be fine, if i can pass my driving test any one can i have got no commonsense at all
  19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm going to have driving lessons for christmas! But my mum says I can't even walk in a straight line so I don't stand a chance! :tongue: I wanna be able to drive though would make life easier! It would make my journeys everywhere like half an hour less at least!