Learning the language

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hells Bones, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Has anyone just seen the news?

Basically, there is an argument going on saying that immigrants should learn English, but some of the immigrants are saying that they don't want to.

What do you do about that?

Your thoughts?

HB

2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Weeell...I suppose in a way that's a bit hypocritical considering the number of Brits who move to France/Spain etc with no language skills at all, but on the other hand, I think if you move to a different country it's only polite to try and communicate with the natives! I don't think you can ever really fit in anywhere if you don't speak to anyone?

3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

If someone is not prepared even to try and learn the language of the country in which they reside, then they should leave.
    BMB
    xx

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you are going to move your life to another country, what is the point of refusing to learn the local language? The first time I went to Italy for a weeks holiday I spent months beforehand learning to speak Italian well enough to get by. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but I was good enough to fool other English visitors when I spoke to them to ask directions to places I wanted to visit.

I used to teach English to an Arab family that came over here every year when I was still a student and they were very keen to learn how to speak English. Not doing so is very short-sighted. And also risks causing resentment amongst the local population.

It is a bit like the English thing of going to Spain to eat fish and chips and drink guinness. What is the point of that! :dunno

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Get used to it folks - people have been moving in to Wales for years and not bothering to learn the language..........................

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Have to agree with your sentiments exactly. :clap:

Only one small flaw in your arguement Dyl, aren't there quite a few Welsh people that don't speak Welsh!!!!! My sister married a Welsh farmer in Dolgellau and she has learnt the language but I'm pretty certain she has told me that there are locals that don't.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Absolutely true - there are more English speakers than Welsh speakers in Wales nowadays - but how much of that is down to people coming in and eroding the language over the years?

Hence my 'get used to it' comment - English might be the minority language in England in a couple of centuries............. ;)

8. bigmamabadger

You wouldn't like it if we did. You wouldn't be able to talk about us in pubs if we understood you...:p
    Jessop-Smythe is learning Welsh, he reads stories to his little son in Welsh. He says he doesn't always understand what he reads. He has no idea why Bob The Builder and Wendy keep disappearing into the woods.
    I spent 2 years in Austria and could speak the lingo well enough to fool people I was German or maybe Dutch. If I were to move to Wales I would at least make an effort to pick up the basics. I can say diolch fawr already.
    BMB - Multilingual Badger Extrordinaire
    xx

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . but do you speak fox or weasel ?

10. bigmamabadger

I wouldn't lower myself. Naturally I speak Hedgerow in order to speak to the lesser predators, but as for using their nasty uncouth languages...[shudder]
    BMB
    xx:rolleyes:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    HB
    immigrants
    language
    news
  12. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I've got to disagree with you there. Providing you're not solely relying on the state, what does it matter whether you can speak the language? If you're not particularly bothered about interacting with the locals, I don't see that it really matters.

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Slight twisting of the news I think - isn't it something to do with not paying Jobseeker allowance to those people who can't speak English? Not really about language at all?

The reasoning being that if you cannot speak this countries language how can you successfully apply for a job?

As to Brits abroad - how many of them would be applying and/or getting Jobseeker or similar?

14. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

I've not heard any recent news ... but if this is the case then I see no problem at all. Why should they be paid a Jobseekers allowance? Surely in order to get a job in england, you would need to be able to speak the language!

Personally though, if I was to live in a non-English speaking country I would want to learn the language as soon as - can't think of anything worse than not being able to understand what people were talking about! Although I was looking after a patient the other week who had lived in the country for over 15 years, and couldn't speak a word of English! well, nothing past hello... you'd have thought that you would pick up the language over time really!

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am sure you meant to say Great Britain or the UK there yeah... ;) Immigrants don't come to England, they come to the UK.

16. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

in general ... I only said England because there may be jobs in wales where you only need to speak welsh?! could be wrong though

17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think this should have implemented much sooner. If you want to live in this country and be classed as a UK citizen, you should be able to speak the language.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think the problem is often not so much with those who have just arrived, but with the subsequent generations. It may be possible for a group to live alomst as a separate entity within the community - and this is not a new thing, as we had a strong Italian-speaking community when I was growing up ni Windsor in the '60s - but it becomes increasingly difficult once their children start attending school etc. It can actually spark off conflict within their own community if the children become resentful of constantly having to mediate for their parents.

19. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

A truer word Mr. Bale, Sir, you have never spoken! [touches forelock]Indeed, we have the reverse problem in Wigan when families do the unthinkable and move out of the area.

What passes for speech in this town can rarely be comprehended outside of the local area. Thus children have to be positively polyglot in order to be able to survive in the Greater Manchester area. Wiggin is one of the few remaining places on Earth where English is taught as a foreign language.

20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I was going to say something but if I get started, it would prob result in getting a ban from the forum due to my comments.....!!!

21. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Well, I am not a racist, I have Asian friends, Polish Friends (Polish Family too) Romanian Friends and American Friends. But all of my friends took the time to learn the lingo

I had a woman come into work today speaking half English, half Punjab to me, I didn't have a clue what she was on about,

"Can I get a Backdonna?" (That's what it sounded like)
    I was like "Backdonna? WTF is a backdonna?"
    then "Chicken" well why the hell didn't you say chicken in the first place???

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    HB
    immigrants
    language
    news