Leaky lips

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ms.Melody, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Ms.Melody

Ms.Melody New Member

Hi everyone :D

I've recently moved from playing Tenor Horn to Tenor Trombone. I love the sound of the 'bone but I've developed a leaky embrouchure when playing the higher notes.(I can hear my own lips buzzing at the edge of my mouthpeice- bit wierd).

My teacher suggested a smaller mouthpiece, logically presuming that it would be more similar to a TH one. I've tried a couple out and I'm not sure any of them help. :frown:

Can anyone help me with decifering the different sizes of mouthpeice? They seems quite simliar? what's a good one? Is it the diameter of the hole that matters or the rim thickness?...

I began on a Yamaha 48 that came with the 'bone. I also have..
    Dennis wick 6BS
    Besson 7c
    Vincent BAch 5

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to strengthen and correct my leaky lips?

Thanks V much....:biggrin:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DI
    Tenor Horn
    Tenor Trombone
    Yamaha
    Leaky lips
  3. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

And the award for funniest opening post goes to...................^^ :clap:

I'm a percussionist, so I'll leave the technical brass windy analysis stuff to my good friends herein. Made me smile though.

Welcome to tMp by the way!! Hope you get your windy lips sorted!!

4. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

I've had this problem, a real pain to get rid of.
    I was basically told just to either tighten my lips or strengthen my embosure. If neither of those work try and direct the air straight down the mouthpiece.
    Chris,

5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm not sure that changing mouthpiece lots is going to help at all - it might make things worse!I'm not a qualified instructor so please bear that in mind!

Have you tried buzzing on the mouthpiece whilst looking at yourself in the mirror? That way you might be able to see what's going on with your embouchure and where the air is getting out that it shouldn't. That might help you work out a way to resolve this.

I moved from flugel to bass trombone about a month ago, and I haven't experienced this issue in the higher registers (my issues are all really with the middle register sounding fuzzy, but it's getting better). I think the issue might be with the way that you have adjusted your embouchure to the lower instrument.

Have you tried the smaller mouthpieces in a lesson with your teacher? What did he/she say about them?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. Ms.Melody

Ms.Melody New Member

Thanks very much Mr Guinness.

I re-read my orginal post after your comment. There are a couple of unintended 'double entendres'!! It's a gift I have.:biggrin:

7. Ms.Melody

Ms.Melody New Member

Thanks for the tips Flugelgal. I'll have to check my embrouchure in the mirror.....whilst doing my hair obviously. My hat is off to you dropping down to Bass 'Bone. GO Girl!

8. Ms.Melody

Ms.Melody New Member

Cheers Chris, I'll persist to strengthen the chops. Does anyone know how these mouthpeices compare against each other..?

I began on a Yamaha 48 that came with the 'bone. I also have..
    Dennis wick 6BS
    Besson 7c
    Vincent BAch 5

Thanks for the nice welcome onto tMP.

9. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

I would recommend Vincent Bach 5 any day :)

10. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Just go back on horn....trombone is rubbish anyway :)

11. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

No it isn't...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DI
    Tenor Horn
    Tenor Trombone
    Yamaha
    Leaky lips
  13. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

It depends what register you'll be playing in the most, if its mainly top stuff then a Dennis Wich 5 would do the job, or if its all sorts then a 4, BUT thats my view, try and collect a few spares of people and try them out to see which one you feel most comfertable with. If you feel fine with one then you can develop yourself with it, no point playing on a mouthpiece you dont feel right with.
    My advice may not work, but oh well, you may aswell give it a try!
    (P.s you might have geussed im a fan of Dennis Wick ;))
    Chris,

14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:clap: Being serious though, Just wondered if you had this problem on horn? If not and your range was ok why not stick to not having leaky chops on horn???

Just an idea......:dunno

15. Ms.Melody

Ms.Melody New Member

Thanks for all the help and advice, I've spent the weekend experimenting and I'm gonna go with the vincent Bach.

As for the Tenor Horn vs Trombone banter....it's a slide thing y'know:tongue:

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Coating the lips could do the trick :D

17. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Good choice of mouthpiece there...oh and good choice of instrument ;) :clap:

18. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

Lips grow outwords better than they grow inwards so keep a standard tenor mouthpiece and position your lips correctly with your jaw forward (when buzzing). Try and manipulate the pitch with your lips (glissing from a flat Bb to a sharp Bb, then a flat F to a sharp F and so on)

That should help and you'll get the "tingle" after about 5 minutes of this.

Best of luck!

19. mrs c

mrs c New Member

i have moved from tenor horn to cornet, i am using a 4b wick but am find playing hard word and when i play above middle range i am getting alot of air escaping ! any advice ?