league or union

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BOB_, Nov 13, 2005.

?

do you support league or union

1. rugby league

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. rugby union

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. BOB_

BOB_ Member

As a giants fan i can't get enough rugby league but i can't realy follow rugby union. Are there any more league supporters out there or does everybody follow the sports which are more successfull e.g. football:?:

2. i much prefer the sport of rugby league to rugby union, but i do support both the rhinos and the tykes

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Proper Rugby for me please. Not that 'girly' league game. Might as well play touch rugby or Sevens!! :rolleyes:

4. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Union : A gentlemans game played by thugs, League, a thugs game played by gentlemen. says it all really, cmon you Roughyeads

(Oldham RLFC to the southern softies!!!!)

5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

There was a massive thread on exactly the same topic about two years ago. I think the general consensous of opinion was we'd agree to disagree! ;)
    I've not got time to locate the tread now, but I dare say someone will!! :)

6. leagues a much faster game, those lineouts in union are pointless and slow the game up

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sorry guys but you can't beat a good ruck and a decent scrummage. None of that 5 goes and then let the other team have a go. Oh and what's with the lying on the floor wriggling like they've just been Tasered, after being tackled? Perhaps proper Rugby is just too complicated for you Northern Monkeys? :rolleyes:

I played my last competitive game when I was 52 after playing for 39 years. Wish I could still play every week.

8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Rugby in general is a northern sport?? Either Genre... Why do you think there is no tv coverage, because the southern pansies at the bbc are too soft for rugby...

Every normal schoolboy plays Union, and watches League, its in the blood!!

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Union. It's the silly 6 tackle thing that puts me off league, and the international scene is much better in union. There's only 3 teams in international RL!

10. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Exactly!

The league game is just far too nice and pretty for me, it's better entertainment (as that's what most people get from any sport) to see a bunch of players really getting stuck in to one another, and with a mixture of open play and set moves, lineout, rucks/mauls etc., you seem to get a more varied game with union.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rugby league
    rugby union
    giants fan i ca
    football
    sports
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Union, union union. Coming from Leicester that is hardly a surprise though. To me league seems to be a load of stop-start where players deliberately run into each other if there are no better options. Union at its best - and anyone who have seen to All Blacks in full flow will agree with me - is a free flowing fast and exciting game.

13. rutty

rutty Active Member

Club Union is starting to pick up now that they've become professional. Watching most Union games a few years ago was a lesson in perseverence - too many errors and no tactics - whereas the international scene showed that it could be exciting. Now that the clubs are getting it together the whole Union scene (well, the top leagues anyway) is top-class entertainment.

League has always been my preference though - I was brought up within spitting distance of Headingley and always loved watching the Loiners (now the Rhinos) play.

Quite fond of both though :)

14. BOB_

BOB_ Member

there are more than three teams internationaly i seem to recall a tri nations tournament in union as well. league has a world cup in 06/07 aswell as GB newzeland and th eaussies, England Wales Scottland Irland(both) France are all currently playing and rugby league is the national sport of paupia new guinea(cannot spell). we have a very fruitfull international competition and friendship with a french team rejoining the superleague. the 6th tackle allows for a fairer game were both teams can get the ball though i do agree that scums have gone soft.

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well how girly is that? The better team should get the ball and the other team have to get it back!! Here's a thought for the League Girls, to make it fairer, only allow the teams to draw!:wink:

Mind you, in League defence, it is better than football. (Just):rolleyes:

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy watching both codes, they both have plusses and minuses for me...my family has always traditionally leaned towards Union tho.

Football - A Gentlemans game played by hooligans.
    Rugby Union - A Hooligans game played by Gentlemen
    Rugby League - A Hooligans game played by Hooligans

You want to watch a real tough sport?? Give 20 wound up women a hard ball and a stick each and sit back to watch the bloodbath. Hockey!! What's all that about then?!?!? :confused:

I could never fathom the logic of that sport (especially played at school where it's thought to be really funny to see how many splinters you can make of someone's shin!! :eek: ).

17. Bungle

Bungle Member

I have a lot of respect for the skills of league players, but prefer unionand follow Waterloo from afar. Union constantly tweek the rules to keep it flowing and even borrow bits from league.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A few years back I would definitely have gone for League, as too many Union games depended constantly on kicking the ball into touch rather than trying to run with it. I reckon both codes can be excellent entertainment, and definitely the scoreline doesn't always tell the whole story, as proved by the sterling defence by Wales against the All Blacks for much of the game the other day, despite ending up on the wrong end of a hammering.

19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

League for me!

I support the Saints don't I sarah?!?!? :D:D:D:D:D

20. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

LOL HAHAHAHA you "claim" to support them, but you've never been to a game in your life, never been near the ground, nothin...not even a rugby shirt (unless you nicked one of mine...*runs away to count shirts*..theyre all there i think...), nothin! :tongue:

i however am a saints fan through and through. :biggrin: rugby league for moi, however i will watch union if its on tv, that can be fun. however i am a league gal.

i watched england v australia on saturday on the telly, and great britain v new zealand on the telly on saturday, that was a fun day, trying to explain the rules of rugby union to my mum who still doesnt understand the rules in rugby league. both the union match and the league match were excellent matches :clap:

21. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

i knew you we're guna say that :( well you know what you can get me for christmas now! :D:D:D my very own shirt! :tongue: and I only haven't been to a match cos I live to far away! But I did watch one on the telly and I knew what a try and conversion were! Cameron was very impressed!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rugby league
    rugby union
    giants fan i ca
    football
    sports