Le Carnaval Romain - Errata or newer score?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AndyCat, Jan 11, 2011.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We're playing off an ancient version of Carnaval Romain, and I wondered if there had been a later printing of the same arrangement?

The Bass and Euph parts are wrong on the one we have, clearly not matching the orchestral version at one specific point, but I don't know if we dare play at as Berlioz intended or not!

I'm sure when I've played it at concerts with other bands, we've changed it, but for t'Area it could be too much of a risk?

2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Why not write to your adjudicator and ask him what he would like to hear?

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

That would be a good idea besides the fact that other bands would then read in to it more than there is. So I won't.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

My guess is you'll be assessed on what Frank Wright put on the paper, rather than what Berlioz originally meant.

Otherwise I'm sure someone somewhere would have played (either version of) Les Preludes in Brass band D in stead of E-flat, to put it back in the original key.... And stop the 'Storm' sequence from being needlessly difficult

The chances are that if you lay in a new set, you'll be greeted by a photocopy of the sat you already have anyway....

5. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

tut tut

" At a recent Kapitol Promotions forum meeting it was proposed that regions add to the information sent to bands entering the Area Contest that
    "direct contact with adjudicators prior to or after the contest, regarding the contest, by any member of a band could be actionable under Rule 22(c) "

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

No, it's not that sort of issue. A bar is in the wrong place, Not a transposition, wrong note, harder key thing. I'm not that daft!

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Or pester someone on your area committee to do it for you.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I wasn't suggesting you were.

I was merely suggesting that Frank Wright's misdemeanours against scoring are well known - such that I would not be at all surprised if you were entirely correct and a bar genuinely is in the wrong place.

However, I would expect that the adjudicator will be looking for the bands to play what is on the paper, right or wrong - unless the publisher lays out errata for the score. And if they have done so, google isn't aware of it.

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Just spoke to Kapitol, and now I have to speak to Alan Hope from the music panel. Will update when I know. I presume we'll all just play it wrong in the end!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Le Carnaval Romain
    Errata
    Carnaval Romain
    Euph
    Bass
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Changed days indeed to when publishing errors were dealt with on the stand and not thought much of afterwards.

13. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

There will be a short investigation by Alan Hope (he thinks I'm right, as the old score he has has it scribbled correctly!) and then an announcement either way on the Kapitol website in due course!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good on you for getting this addressed quickly. :clap:

15. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We received an email from the Regional Committee last night informing us that the score is, indeed, incorrect.

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Any chance you could post the specifics of the error, please?

17. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

in Euph and Basses, at L there should be rests in 2nd AND 3rd Bar, then music in 3rd bar is 4th bar. So the 2 semiquaver runs are in sequence without a bars rest in between. As far as i can remember without any music!

As any orchestral (or even band) recording sounds.

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

OK, thanks; makes sense, also ties up with Eulenberg Orchestral Score ...

19. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Thats the one it should match the other semiquaver sequences in that passage. I am sure we didn't spot this when we did it in the senior cup all those years ago and I recall we still manages 2nd that year ;)

20. you-ff

you-ff New Member

I agree. There's a free full orchestral score available from http://imslp.org/wiki/Le_carnaval_romain,_H_95_(Berlioz,_Hector). It looks as if figure 10 in that orchestral score is the same as rehearsal mark 'L' in the brass band score. If so then the bottom two lines (cello and double bass?) show how the euphonium and bass parts should be written in the brass band transcription.

21. you-ff

you-ff New Member

EDIT: there's an update on the Kapitol errata page: http://www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com/index.php?id=24 describing exactly this correction.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Le Carnaval Romain
    Errata
    Carnaval Romain
    Euph
    Bass