Law Degree

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Aug 26, 2004.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Anyone on here doing one?! and where?

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hopefully I'll be doing a law degree in the next 2 years. I'm aiming to combine it with french, spending year 3 (of 4) in a french university.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I know someone who is studying law at Manchester Uni
  4. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Did one 9 years ago, (although finished it 6 years ago).

Still make me feel old though.

5. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

I did mine at DeMontfort Uni, Leicester.
  6. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I know the Nottingham Law School at Trent Uni has a very good reputation.
  7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

yeah i've been told that, no idea what the actuall place is like tho?
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Doesnt matter what the actual place is like...
    Salford can be rough at times (like a lot of places) and from the outside the music department doesn't look anything special, but the reputation and teaching inside is top notch! :)
    Just look around all these places and believe me, when you see and find the right place you'll know :)
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

If you mean Nottingham itself give me a shout, also I had a housemate that studied for his LPC at the Nottingham Law School so I know a bit about that as well.
  10. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Nottingham is a great place to live, work and for entertainment as there is plenty to do. We did have two students in Bestwood who did their Legal Practice course at the Law School and are now working as trainee solicitors away from Notts.

Let us know where you decide to study and best of luck on finding the Uni you want to go.
  11. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

LPC is the course you do after your Law Degree if you want to become a solicitor. Degree is completely different to LPC.

My advice is to make sure you attend as many open days as possible to see whether the univiersity comes up to what you expect and whether the area is somewhere you are prepared to spend 3 years of your life.

It may also be good to do work experience with local firms and ask their opinions about which Universities have good reps.

12. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

My advice is don't do a law degree! Do something else and then do your conversion and LPC. Degree level law is like economics and politics with the fun taken out - after a term of Roman Law you'll want to chuck yourself off a bridge.
  13. jambo

jambo Member

Graduated from mine in 2001 from Northumbria University.

The resources there are brilliant, the city (Newcastle) is arguably the best social city in the UK for students AND

you get your LPC totally free as part of your 4 year exempting degree saving you thousands.

Plus the bands up here are great! ha ha

Happy hunting
  14. jambo

jambo Member

Roman law? Where did you have to study that. only did current areas on mine and the likes of crime and civil Lit are great. Just like telling stories.

Some bits are boring but compared to economics and politics...the whole thing is at least stimulating