'Laural & Hardy - Another Fine Mess' Sandy Smith (euph duet)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toppy the tenor, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Hi all - considering new programme choices for 2010 and wondered if anyone had played/heard/knows of a recording of Sandy Smith's euph duet 'Laural & Hardy - Another Fine Mess'.

I'm sure it's a great arrangement and perfect addition to concert programme but would value your views.

Cheers

Toppy

2. BrianT

BrianT Member

Another Fine Mess

Check out the Wantage Band performance on youtube: Another Fine Mess

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I was lucky enough to see Grimey perform this it at the City Varieties in leeds some years back. It's Sandy at his finest, hilarious and brilliant at the same time, and really brought the house down.

One of the euph parts is quite astonighingly difficult though if I remember correctly. I had a flick through the score on a trade stand and I think it goes up to a super Bb! (That may be optional though.)

If you've ever seen the Stan and Ollie film "Way Out West" where Stan suddenly starts singing bass baritone, Ollie belts him on the head with a hammer and he switches to singing soprano before keeling over - then you get the picture. One euph part does exactly that - including the keeling over I think!

Properly fabulous arrangement.

4. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

It's on the Mountbatton Festival of Music 2009 DVD. The performance was excellent.

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Indeedy - you have it spot on!

We did it for a season (2006ish). The first euph part is ridiculously high.

They also get to do a little dance break - very funny depending on the nature of your euph players! Funnier for us because on of ours at the time rarely cracked a smile so to see him 'fall' flat on his a*se and then dance was hilarious : )

It's a great piece, and the audience will love it. Highly recommended!

6. Di B

Di B Member

One euph part (laurel) is hard, but the other (hardy) has a lot of rests.
    Best way to deal with this is either let the euph players split the parts a bit or get hardy to mess around in the audience/conduct.

A great item if rehearsed properly for big concerts!

7. Excellent - thanks all for your posts on this. Most helpful.

8. wittig

wittig Member

I've played this duet before, I remember the 1st Euph part has a 3 octave jump at one part from the D above pedal C (really difficult note to play at volume 1+3+4) to a top D. I don't remember anything about a super Bb (Maybe I deliberately ignored that since I can't get above a top F)

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I believe this ^ arrangement has been slightly altered to suit the needs of that performance. I`ll ask his lordship (Stan Hardy) as he did it.

10. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Just checked the score and parts on Sibelius to remind myself about this !The "Stan Laurel" part - which was originally done by Michael Dodd - does indeed have a written "super" D at the point where "Oliver Hardy" hits him on the head with a malletBUT - when we did at Grimey Michael sang this note through his Euph. - it was never intended to be played properly.Apart from that there is the odd top D in a run or two but nothing too extreme.The main tune, "The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia" is written in concert Ab ( brass band Bb major ) if anyone wants to have a busk at it.Both Michael and Shaun Hudson were absolutely fantastic for the piece, both as great players and fantastic dopplegangers for the comic duo.We had great fun doing it at Grimey for a while after using it at Brass in Concert.The dance routine is from the film "Way Out West" and was choreographed by Roy Battys' wife for Michael and Shaun.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laural & Hardy - Another Fine Mess
    Sandy Smith
    Cheers Toppy
    concert programme
    euph duet
  12. zak

zak Member

Good times Sandy mi old mukka, good times!!!! :clap:

13. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I didn't see Grimey do their version but have been a tad disappointed at the attempts to do the L&H dance steps to accompany "At the Ball" by various bands.
    For anyone needing a hand there are some clips available on youtube if you don't have the Way Out West video (can't believe anyone wouldn't though!!) or just take a look at my avatar for a starter for 10