Laudate Dominum on Radio 3

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bryan_sop, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Did anyone else catch Black Dyke Playing Gregson's Laudate Dominum with the new added variations in it on Radio 3 this afternoon?

I wouldn't have known about it but Mr Gregson emailed our conductor who then told us. It's on listen again here just after 2 hours and 40 into the program.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Listening to it now ... pleasant!

3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

None of the BBC play lists for the "listen again" facility on the daily Afternoon on 3 have the brass band pieces that were played during the week. I wonder why?:-?

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The listings for the initial programmes were very sparse, and it was only by emailing the producer that we managed to find any details.

5. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

Just listening now - this has always been an attractive piece for own choice contests and has been used by mainly third and fourth section bands. The additional variations give the piece a more acceptable length for contesting and add a degree of difficulty to perhaps attract more second section bands.
    In my personal view the first of the new variations is very much in keeping with the original - not so sure about the second one.

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I haven't had a chance to listen to the radio broadcast yet, but listening to the live performance I was much of the same opinion. I remember thinking that it just went to demonstrate how composers' music develops over the years.

Gregson mentioned before the performance that the new scherzo paid a little tribute to Wilfred Heaton - which, if my ears were not mistaken at the time, was a tiny little fragment borrowed from his Toccata, Oh The Blessed Lord.

7. Well worth a listen, its a great piece.

Would test any band if it was used at a contest, and im sure it would be a popular choice.

Enjoyed the broadcast, also with the added bonus of Grimey playing "Battle Creek". Terrific.

8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

IS it the same Laudate I am thinking of?

Trombones start with A, F#, D, E, crotchets in the first bar?

9. fireborn

fireborn Member

Yes, that's the one

10. Playabit

Playabit Member

Played Laudate Dominum at Fleetwood in 2006 i think, it was my first contest back banding after a break, this version is totally different wouldnt have recognised it in parts..

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke Playing Gregson
    Radio 3
    Laudate Dominum
    Playing Gregson
    Mr Gregson
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Ermm ... thought it was a tone lower than that? (or two tones in concert pitch)

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

It was also quite similar to his Praise march in places.

14. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

nope they are the notes (in Bb)