"Latest" recording ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PeterBale, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Following on from the brief discussion regarding the two recordings of Philip Sparke's "Capriccio" for trombone I now see that there is a "new" Fountain City Brass recording being released this weekend.

Looking more carefully at the online blurb, it transpires that the "latest release" was actually recorded in 2007, two years prior to "Over the rainbow", recorded during their 2009 visit to the UK.

I am certain that both will include excellent and worthy performances, but it strikes me as slightly misleading, and would hate to see people misled into buying what they think is a more recent recording from the band.

I can't help being reminded of certain TV productions that sit on the shelf for a couple of years "waiting for a suitable transmission slot", and then sink without trace :(
  2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The band did indeed record Celebration in 2007 but didn't do anything with it.

Customers will have many reasons for buying a recording and won't necessarily go for something just because it is the most recent, unless they like to build chronological collections.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's fair enough, but it just seemed odd for it to be trumpeted as "its latest recording", at least in the WorldofBrass newsletter.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Perhaps 'latest available recording' might be a better description.
  5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Fair cop, I did write it in a bit of a hurry as I had to rush to catch a train.