Latest CD from Black Dyke Band

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by WorldofBrass.com, Oct 6, 2004.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

We are pleased to present the latest CD from Black Dyke Band called The Trumpets of the Angels.
    The CD is subtitled The Music of Edward Gregson, Volume 4 being a follow-up to the three earlier volumes on the Doyen label.

This will be released at the forthcoming National Championships at the Royal Albert Hall but is now available for pre-order on our website.

The reasons for putting it on the website early are that we have placed an advert in the October issue of Gramophone magazine which is in shops now and there is also a feature in this weeks bumper issue of British Bandsman!

Track list is as follows;
    An Age of Kings
    Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium and Band Soloist; David Thornton
    Concerto for Tuba and Band Soloist; Joseph Cook
    The Trumpets of the Angels

An Age of Kings will be receiving its World Premiere performance at the Kapitol in Brass concert on the evening of the National Championships.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Volume 4
    National Championships
    Black Dyke Band
    Age of Kings
    October issue of Gramophone magazine
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Out of interest, is The Age Of Kings the same as The Sword And The Crown? The wind band work seems to share a lot of features..... offstage trumpets, harp and vocal part. I'm just curious.

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The CD booklet says;
    Gregson composed a substantial amount of music for a small mixed ensemble. Much of it has been adapted into two large symphonic suites for wind band - The Sword and the Crown (1991) and The Kings Go Forth (1996). An Age of Kings is the definitive version for brass band, written specially for this recording (2004). It incorporates music from both wind band suites.

I hope this helps.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks for the info. I had a funny feeling that the work was not totally original when I read the description. And I did notice that the last movement of The Kings Go Forth was similar to The Sword And The Crown too!! ;)